The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2012, 10:08 PM

cjam93 is on a distinguished road
Default Going fishing in the sound... (4 questions)

Hey guys so in two weeks me and a friend will be taking a trip to Surf City to do some pier fishing. While there we are going to go to the sound some. I would like to try to fly fish in the sound. Anyways I have no idea what flies I should take with me for this. I really like getting flies from the flystop (https://www.theflystop.com) so what are some flies that they have you would recommend?

Also I am fishing a scientific anglers bass package rod. It is a 9ft 8wt. Should it be ok for fishing? Is there anything that I need to do maintenance wise to my rod, reel, or line after fishing with it?

Also is there a type of wired leader that I should get for this?

thanks guys!
Old 10-21-2012, 10:14 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice
Default Re: Going fishing in the sound... (4 questions)

of course you are going to need to wash down your rod and reel after the trip to avoid corrosion. you certainly can fish there with that setup. where there is a will...
common flies- clousers (of course) lefty's deceivers and Bobs bangers
newer flies- polar fiber minnow (get it) eat me fly ( indestructible and catches everything) gurglers
Old 10-21-2012, 10:19 PM

Thanks, sorry I figured I would need to wash it down I just wasn't sure if there was anything else or not. I will check out those flies for sure thanks! What about the leader? Is there a certain leader that I should use?
Old 10-21-2012, 10:22 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

for an 8 weight use about 4 feet of 40 pound 2 feet of 20 pound and 2 feet of tippet thats a good basis for a leader.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:31 PM

Ok cool thanks!
Old 10-22-2012, 01:38 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

I'm guessing your talking about the sound behind the barrier beach at Surf City NC? If so seatrout ,spot and drum will be your major quarry. Consider fishing the beach itself from my experience in that area the surf is very active with all kinds of targets. Although I caught fish in the sound the beach had much more to offer. As far as flies clousers , streamers and small sand eel imitations work well. Depends on what's running. The area of the sound closest to the camp was good also. Good luck!

---------- Post added at 12:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 AM ----------

Keep your eyes peeled at the beach. It's generally littered with prehistoric shark teeth of all sizes (just look for black spots in the sand)

---------- Post added at 12:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 AM ----------

Oh and wire leader if the blues are blitzing!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 10-23-2012, 10:08 PM

Awesome thanks! For wired leaders, will any wire leader from a tackle shop work or are there wired leaders specifically for fly fishing?
Old 10-24-2012, 09:12 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjam93 View Post
Awesome thanks! For wired leaders, will any wire leader from a tackle shop work or are there wired leaders specifically for fly fishing?
There's 3 kinds of wire trace. Single strand stainless, 7 strand coated, and 64 strand "knottable".
The "knottable" is the easiest to deal with as you can use the same fishing knots that you would use with mono
Old 10-24-2012, 10:11 AM

ok awesome thanks!