The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2008, 12:18 AM

ktrout1975 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Kayak Help

i fish the bays and river mouths of the florida panhandle in an ocean kayak drifter ($600 at the mall sporting goods store). it's got a wide beam which is great for fishing stability but not so great for tracking (paddling in a straight line) when the wind comes up. and the wind comes up every day. a simple rudder system would solve my tracking problem--i just hesitate to drill holes in the bottom of my boat.
as far as the fishing goes, i recommend a top-spot map and a handheld gps unit. the map will put you on waypoints and tell you which species feed at each point throughout the year. fishing waypoints is much more productive than just paddling out and trying to read the water yourself. as you surely know, it's big water.
i have been meaning to install a rod holder behind my seat so i can troll (spinning rod with a gold spoon? fly rod with a clauser?) while paddling from boat launch to waypoint and back. anybody have any experience trolling from a kayak?
tight lines out there!
Old 01-22-2008, 10:09 AM

derekw68 is on a distinguished road

I have a native ultimate 14.5. I fish in tidal waters in south carolina. I can stand in it to fly fish. very stable. they say it is a tandem but it is better solo once you have gear and etc.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:42 AM

troutminister is on a distinguished road

for the guy looking for tips on trolling on a yak, i have fished out of a kayak for 7 years now, mostly around Panama City to Pensacola, done alot of trolling and haven't had a whole lot of success at it. In freshwater brim will always hit a beetle on the troll, and that can be a lot of fun. If you put rod holders on your boat behind you for trolling definitly go with a scotty style rod holder even though it is more expensive it will allow you to use the length of your rod more like an outrigger to get your lure out of the disturbance behind you. I decided to go with the cheap route and put flush mounts behind me and have regreted it since, they tend to push your line directly behind you which is why I think that I have not had much success, but then again i may just not know what i am doing so take my advice at what it is worth, that may not be much but hopefully that will help you on the water
Old 01-25-2008, 11:16 AM

Reactor has a spectacular aura aboutReactor has a spectacular aura about

If you don't go with a sit on top style ocean kyak then I have these suggestions. Buy the longest kyak that you feel fits the size of the water your are fishing in. Make sure you spend the extra money to purchase the most comfortable seat available. Your back will thank you for it. Last, make sure your feet fit. You don't want to have to cant your feet to one side or point your toes to get your feet to fit inside the kyak. If you do this after a couple of hours the pain will set in.
Good Luck.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

If you do get a SOT yak, follow reactor's first two points.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:50 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

There are some good ideas here for a Kayak but I still think the Kiwi Angler is the best thing going for fishing. It is a twin hulled Yak that you can use a trolling motor or very small outboard. I have shown this picture before but I think it is worth posting again.

Frank

Click the image to open in full size.

Specifications: Length: 11'
Width: 35"
Depth: 13.5"
Weight: 65lbs
Draft: 3"
Max. Cap.: 400lbs

The sit-on top Angler is one of the most stable and unique craft on the water. It comes fully equipped with an 8’ paddle, touring backrest, gear straps, paddle leash and a 6” hatch with bag. With the addition of the Fishing Package, the Angler is ready to accept an electric trolling motor and is ideally set up to make sure you land the big one!
Old 01-31-2008, 08:02 PM

craig is on a distinguished road

Two Web sites you may find helpful are:
flowpaddlers.org
paddling.net
Good luck
Old 02-03-2008, 07:19 AM

SouthernSteve is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelfly View Post
I am thinking about buying a kayak for fishing. Any suggestions on what type? Also, any trick to fishing from one?
Look into Native Kayaks: Native Watercraft

I have the Native Ulitmate 14.5 and it's a dream. It's fast, tracks extremely well, very stable, roomy and very easy to fish out of.

I've had many kayaks and the Native is BY FAR the best.

If you get the chance to paddle one, do so.