The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 10:46 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold
Default Cocodrie Reds

As you may remember from an earlier post, my father-in-law and I went to cocodrie Louisiana in June fly fishing for Redfish. We had some absolutely awesome fishing catching Reds up to 14 pounds. That was our second trip with that Guide (Blaine Townsend), and again he kept telling us that the big 'uns, the "bulls" were there in October/November. That is out of the question for me as I am a high school teacher. Enter my brother-in-law. he works for the National Forestry service, and CAN get off.

So down they go for a week. Days one and two were good but theyw ere limited on where they could fish due to wicked winds. Today, the winds laid down a bit, and.....well you be the judge. Its a bit Gator or Gar battered, but I am still soooooo jealous!

Click the image to open in full size.

---------- Post added at 08:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 AM ----------

Oh yeah, and on a TFO TiCrX 8wt.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:51 AM

thorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Cocodrie Reds

GREAT fish - Congratulations

THORSTEN
Old 10-24-2012, 10:52 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Homer I'd be jealous as well! That's one big bull red! I think your brother inlaw owes you one! Great fish!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 10-24-2012, 11:16 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

I don't know the weight.....but has to be at least in the 25lb range?? I'll find out when I pick them up at the airport on Saturday.

---------- Post added at 09:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 AM ----------

I changed my avatar....

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Old 10-24-2012, 11:28 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Homer: I can see why you would be jealous! Wow, that is one nice Red.

Larry

Old 10-24-2012, 11:42 AM

wishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enoughwishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enough

Awesome fish, I can't wait to make the trip south to rip the lips on some big ol' Redfish.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:14 PM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

I have always headed to FL but that make me want to see southern LA
Old 10-25-2012, 12:18 PM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

That is a Black Drum, not a Redfish boys, don't fight anything like the Red Drum "Redfish" do...

That 14 pound Red you caught in June, would fight twice as hard as that 25-30 pound Black Drum would to give you some perspective...

Right now, they should be able to find some Redfish in the 20+ pound range down there "and they likely will", those are the fun ones, especially in the warmer water temps of the early "Bull Red" season...

Black Drum aren't worthless by any means, but they don't fight anything like you would expect...
robbf213 likes this.

Last edited by kwb; 10-25-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwb View Post
That is a Black Drum, not a Redfish boys, don't fight anything like the Red Drum "Redfish" do...

That 14 pound Red you caught in June, would fight twice as hard as that 25-30 pound Black Drum would to give you some perspective...

Right now, they should be able to find some Redfish in the 20+ pound range down there "and they likely will", those are the fun ones, especially in the warmer water temps of the early "Bull Red" season...

Black Drum aren't worthless by any means, but they don't fight anything like you would expect...
I have an email in to the guys asking just that......after staring longingly at the pic, it didn't look quite right. No spot, and the head/shoulders seem too "high".....not torpedo like at all. I think black drum "eat" pretty well in the smaller sizes.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:27 PM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfzx View Post
I have an email in to the guys asking just that......after staring longingly at the pic, it didn't look quite right. No spot, and the head/shoulders seem too "high".....not torpedo like at all. I think black drum "eat" pretty well in the smaller sizes.
I would bet my life "which I am quite fond of" that is a Black Drum

That is a Black Drum

That is a Red Drum or "Redfish"...

Honestly, as much time as I spend down there, I have never ate Black Drum, too many shrimp, crab and oysters to eat to mess with Drum LOL