The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 02:01 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice
Default Re: Personal variations to flies

Dan that is awesome im stealing that idea.

---------- Post added at 03:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 PM ----------

On my Eat Me styled flies that im tieing for the fly swap, i like to cover my thread wraps in sally hanson's after every step. The only destructible part of the fly is the eyes which can be glued back on.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:33 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I glue the eyes on those beads with 5 minute epoxy to. Just rough up a spot on the bead. The only ones I have lost were to dock posts, Cement bridge pilings an other stuff behind me. Never had a fish pop one off yet (knock on wood).
Old 11-11-2012, 03:39 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

are you using wire leaders or heavy fluoro?
Old 11-11-2012, 05:19 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the time wire. I use the old Dahlberg style of doing my leaders. It takes a few odd knots, Bimini Twist, Albright and twist mel, but they are awsome. I have been doing them this way for a long time.

I do them from the fly;
Twist melt in nylon coated steel
Albright knot to the double line of a Bimini Twist. (Loosely furled)
Bimini Twist.

Up to this point I make from the fly to the single line just less than a foot. IGFA rule, this whole section 39".

A 42 inch mid section.

A 39 inch fly rod end section with a perfection loop. I blood knot the pieces together and with what you loose in a blood knot it comes out pretty much exactly 9' long.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:58 AM

I dont go after large enough fish to use a bimini. I do plan on spooling my alpha with gel spun and going after sharks.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:44 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Just be careful with that gel-spun, it may not look like it at first but if you're not using stripping guards or fighting gloves* it's a great way to open up your finger for inspection!

As far as personal variation, I find that about half the time I'm tying flies based on elements of patterns that have worked recently or in the past. I don't specifically remember the last time I followed a fly recipe, though I have much respect for Sawyer and Clouser and Lefty and Wulff and all the others whose patterns I tie and fish, but an equal amount of time I couldn't tell you who may have tied a similar pattern or who contributed elements to flies I am tying and fishing. With it being lake-run fish season, I use a lot of estaz and guinea in fly patterns, while also just relying on what I have laying around. I probably should make a fly materials order soon, but until then I'll keep substituting materials with what I have laying around. Even more exaggerated is when I'm in Sweden walking the forest and fields around our field-house looking for tying materials. Variety is spice of (fly tying) life right?

*check out the 12wt brand work gloves, they are AWESOME, though I'd prefer if the first or even first and second fingers were longer for the purpose of use as a stripping guard*
Guest1 likes this.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 11-12-2012, 12:50 PM

i was a gear chucker before fly fishing so i have had alot of cuts from spectra line and stuff thank you though. usually im not touching the backing when i have a fish that far. I am just reeling.