The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 02:36 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice
Default Personal variations to flies

Everybody knows the popular flies such as clousers deep minnow or a zonker and their are a trillion different color schemes to them but what do variations do you apply to your flies that make them unique? also why have you made these changes; what is the advantage of them?

When i tie leftys deceivers i use a lot of different in one. I tie on 4 feathers in the beginning tie in kyrstal flash then a feather on each side that are fatter than the previous then i tie tinsel to the side. What i do next is really what makes the fly for me. I pamler marabou tie it off and pull it back and make wraps in from of it. It makes the fly breathe and adds a ton of action. Also i cover thread wraps with doll eyes so it adds a slight rattle.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:24 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Personal variations to flies

Like the palmered marabou effect Robert!
For me anything I tie for saltwater has to have pearl flashabou somewhere in it . Whether a little or alot it's a confidence thing for me and it's never let me down! Clousers, Decievers ,Streamers , Minnow Patterns even crab and shrimp patterns a little flash'll do ya!
Hardyreels, Pocono and grassonfly like this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 11-10-2012, 10:30 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

I am big on flash to sometimes a little too much. Angel hair flash is nice. I also always add eyes to my flies to protect thread wraps from barracuda and also to attract fish.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:51 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I hybridized a clouser and a marabou leech. I wrap the marabou up the body without a stem in a dubbing loop. Very durable Bass and Walleye clobbering fly.

Last edited by Guest1; 11-11-2012 at 12:17 PM. Reason: fix a fat finger hit
Old 11-11-2012, 08:18 AM

That's awesome. I know you also do alot of uv stuff Dan.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:21 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Fly recipes are like food recipes. There are classics that can't be changed and to do so makes them something else. Oysters Rockefeller becomes oysters with spinach and a royal coachman is renamed a royal Wulff. (capital W)
Other recipes are just styles of cooking or tying and to copy exactly what the next guy is doing is akin to plagiarism. I don't make my chili or barbeque sauce like my neighbor does and neither do you.

In somewhat the same vein, I have met Bob Clouser and I can assure you that he is a real person and that "Clouser" is his proper name.
Personally, as a sigh of respect I prefer to spell his name with a capital "C"
Old 11-11-2012, 10:29 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

One of my favorite little flies for some of the front range creeks I first tied as an attempt to copy another pattern from memory. When I looked at the original again some time later I realized that what I have been tying is really rather different and I like it better. Happy accident.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:04 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

I feel we all end up tying in our own style anyway, and no matter how we vary a style, it's still not ours. To me a Deceiver is a Deceiver, and is still Lefty's. A Clouser is still the design of Bob Clouser, and is not mine.

However, I like to experiment & many flies I tie are variations. I don't have a set way of tying any pattern, and tie more on whim. Although I do try to tie with a purpose no matter what pattern that may be.

I like adding rabbit strips to Clouser Minnows, and I also like to add lots of flash to most baitfish patterns. My reasoning is that rabbit strips add length that is not always obtainable with bucktail, and also adds a different type of motion & action to the fly. In this way I feel the fly can easily imitate a wider variety of prey, and in the waters I fish, that could be a baitfish or even an eel. I believe when a fly imitates more than one type of prey species, you may increase your chances of success.

For the flash, the majority of the fishing I do is in brackish water that has a tannic stain to it, so the flash gets the fly noticed. If I fished in clearer water I might be inclined to reduce the amount of flash, but so far cannot say I use too much. Plus, many of the baitfish in those waters have a lot of flash to them, so it makes sense to me to mimic that flash.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 11-11-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Fly recipes are like food recipes. There are classics that can't be changed and to do so makes them something else. Oysters Rockefeller becomes oysters with spinach and a royal coachman is renamed a royal Wulff. (capital W)
Other recipes are just styles of cooking or tying and to copy exactly what the next guy is doing is akin to plagiarism. I don't make my chili or barbeque sauce like my neighbor does and neither do you.

In somewhat the same vein, I have met Bob Clouser and I can assure you that he is a real person and that "Clouser" is his proper name.
Personally, as a sigh of respect I prefer to spell his name with a capital "C"
I disagree. I feel that flies army an exact recipe but more of a style of tieing. As long as one doesn't deviate from the main parts them it is ok. If you replace bucktail with say superhair on a clouser. It still has the clouser style .
Old 11-11-2012, 12:24 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

This is still a Reynold's Pike fly, but I did change the head. I cover the tread for the weed gaurd with 5 min. epoxy. Everything else is covered in leather except the head. By adding the heart bead, it makes a bigger profile head end removes the last tooth vulnerable spot on the fly. I epoxy that on also. These are pretty close to bullet proof.
Click the image to open in full size.
grassonfly likes this.