The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 01:42 AM

650flyguy has a spectacular aura about650flyguy has a spectacular aura about650flyguy has a spectacular aura about
Default Fishing the CA surf

Found a few surf perch last weekend between the foul weather.

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:04 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fishing the CA surf

Nice looking fish! Thanks for posting!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 12-01-2012, 09:12 AM

fishindave is on a distinguished road

Calico's right?....Looks to be N. of SF?...I used to fish the coast from HMB south... Sometimes as far north as devils slide area.All the cool little remote beaches...Nobody ever on 'em, and tons of Bar pearch, very willing to eat a fly I might add...Nice fish...

OH MY! OMAN! 2013
"All I want from life is an unfair advantage" W.C. Fields
Old 12-01-2012, 09:38 AM

650flyguy has a spectacular aura about650flyguy has a spectacular aura about650flyguy has a spectacular aura about

I was fishing in Humboldt County.

Mostly get into redtail surf perch up there. Sometimes there is a surprise or 2.

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

They make for fun fishing.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:35 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Stan,

I just spotted this, nice fish you've got there. Maybe someday we will move either down toward Homer or over to Kodiak or Dillingham so we would be clooser to the salt. Where I live now I'm only a few minutes from Knik Arm of the Cook Inlet but the water is almost always too turbid to fish. I like casting in the surf,

Ard
650flyguy likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-02-2012, 02:20 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Must be more Northern California. When I lived in Sand Diego and Oceanside I got Calico Bass but I never saw a Surf Perch. Must be a more Northern species.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Must be more Northern California. When I lived in Sand Diego and Oceanside I got Calico Bass but I never saw a Surf Perch. Must be a more Northern species.
They should be there Dan, I grew up perch fishing in So CA.
I spend some time each year perch fishing in San Diego Co.
If you are interested check out this forum for some pointers

Surf Fishing in Southern California - SC Surf Fishing

Any chance you fish the Bay (SD)?
I am planning to fish it this month.

---------- Post added at 01:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi Stan,

I just spotted this, nice fish you've got there. Maybe someday we will move either down toward Homer or over to Kodiak or Dillingham so we would be clooser to the salt. Where I live now I'm only a few minutes from Knik Arm of the Cook Inlet but the water is almost always too turbid to fish. I like casting in the surf,

Ard
Thanks Ard! I am committed to fishing the surf (maybe should be committed for fishing the surf). I have no knowledge about the surf fishing in Alaska, now you have me wondering. In CA the CA halibut come in the shallows to spawn, any chance halibut do the same up there?

Also, do you have perch?
Old 12-02-2012, 04:46 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Hey flyguy nice perch, what flys are you using?

Rick
Old 12-02-2012, 04:55 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt I will be fishing there again anytime soon. I fished the freshwater more than the salt when I lived there but I never got one of them. I scuba dived a whole lot there and never saw one either. They might be there but I don't think they are as common down there as they are farther North.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:26 PM

fichy will become famous soon enough

I've caught many barred surf perch at the Silver Strand, Torrey Pines, Carlsbad and a bunch of other beaches in San Diego. Surf is the operative word. It's rare to find them in the deep or calm. They're common wherever their main food source, the mole crab is found. Fliflicker.com is also another good source of info for SD area.