The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 03:21 PM

650flyguy has a spectacular aura about650flyguy has a spectacular aura about650flyguy has a spectacular aura about
Default Linecurve Stripping Basket

Does any one have any experience with a Linecurve Stripping Basket?

Click the image to open in full size.

Linekurv.dk

I have experimenting with a number of homemade and manufactured baskets and I am still in search for the perfect one. I have been using a foam Mangrove which is I like - packable, light, large holes in the bottom, rod holder works well & keep line properly coiled. My only problem is when a nice sized Pacific Wave smashes it just right the bottom pops out.

I was thinking a formed plastic basket may be the ticket.
Also thought it was cool in was made in DK where I have family ties.

Appreciate any information.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:14 PM

fichy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Linecurve Stripping Basket

Looks very similar in design to the Orvis basket. I've used mine for 5-6 years with great success on the east and west US coasts. The Orvis model is 80.00 , I believe. I'm glad I bought mine at less than half that. I use mine to protect reels and fly boxes in transit, and flip it over and sit on it to wait for favorable tides.

Charlie
Jackster and Hardyreels like this.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:26 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there Fichy. Welcome to the forum. Hope to hear more from you.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:36 PM

Thanks, Dan. That's a really beautiful, impressive smallie. One of my favorite fish. I didn't see an intro section so I dove in without really looking. I'm lucky, the water's fine!

Charlie
Old 12-02-2012, 11:50 PM

650flyguy has a spectacular aura about650flyguy has a spectacular aura about650flyguy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by fichy View Post
Looks very similar in design to the Orvis basket. I've used mine for 5-6 years with great success on the east and west US coasts.

Charlie
Do you have any problems filling up with water?

One review I read said the Linecurve was smaller than the Orvis Basket. I was unable to find the exact size. These are selling for around $50.

Last edited by 650flyguy; 07-21-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:47 AM

If I'm going to get hit with surf and fill the basket, I loosen the waist belt and add one over the shoulder to hold it up. I tilt the basket to empty water. It hasn't been a problem. I don't drill drain holes, as I found it works better if I let it float up if I wade deep. I also like to keep some water in it, as it helps the line shoot. I hope someone can give you a real review of the product you asked about, I'm sorry to semi-hijack your thread.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:39 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fichy View Post
If I'm going to get hit with surf and fill the basket, I loosen the waist belt and add one over the shoulder to hold it up. I tilt the basket to empty water. It hasn't been a problem. I don't drill drain holes, as I found it works better if I let it float up if I wade deep. I also like to keep some water in it, as it helps the line shoot. I hope someone can give you a real review of the product you asked about, I'm sorry to semi-hijack your thread.
No holes in my basket either.
I once had the sandbar I was standing on in heavy current wash away right from under my feet.
I used my basket as a float to "swim' back to shore.

I fish regularly in the surf and when faced with an especially large wave, I tip my basket up to deflect it. When you get hit by the surf in the crotch area enough times you'll appreciate the extra protection

---------- Post added at 09:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 AM ----------

My basket

Old 12-03-2012, 09:09 AM

RT, I've thought of the tiny boat aspect..... I have towed hard baskets carrying my chest pack and rod, while I held my waders up as high as I could when I stayed out on the bars too far into the incoming. There's some flats I fish (especially Joppa on the mouth of the Merrimack) where it's difficult to get back in, as the troughs are deeper towards shore and fill in behind you. That one more cast thing gets me every time.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:19 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

The basket looks very good, also very similiar to the L.L. Bean basket, so my only question is how wide is it? If it's too wide, like the Bean basket, you'll hit your hand when you're executing your downward haul.

When it comes to stripping basket I think it pays to buy one like the Orvis basket. If you're going to build your own and want to buy cones go here:
Fly Fishing Gear - Burleson Sporting Co.

Randy
Old 12-03-2012, 06:21 PM

mtnwkr will become famous soon enoughmtnwkr will become famous soon enough

90% of the guys around here use Linekurv baskets, the rest use home made options. They work great, some drill holes, some don't. I always have. Head to a popular beach when the salmon are running and it's a line of guys all with the same green basket. These are identical to the old LL Bean baskets that were so coveted but no longer made.