The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 12:19 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold
Default Louisiana Redfish and Specled Trout

I just got an invite from an avid fishermen in Louisiana. He says he sees lots of people lately using "Buggy Whips" and since he knows I use a fly rod he has offered to put me up and take me out on either of his boats. He has a flats boat for inshore and a bigger boat for offshore fishing around the oil rigs.

I'm mostly interested in the redfish, specs, and I guess black drum in the marshes.

So I have a two 6 wts, a TFO BVK and a ST Croix Legend Ultra. I also have two 8 wts, a TFO BVK and a Redington Predator, plus I'm watching ebay for a TFO TiCrX.

I have Floating line, Type III, and fast sink lines in both weights.

Does that about cover me for the redfish and speckled trout?

What about flies?

I see alot of stuff about spoon flies, clousers, and seaducers. Any more info on flies and colors?

Thanks

Last edited by mudbug; 12-08-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:15 PM

osok will become famous soon enoughosok will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Louisiana Redfish and Specled Trout

Sounds like a trip not to be missed. I can't help on LA but in TX, I and alot of others on the upper coast throw a Redfish Crack. Mostly with tan craft fur with black stripes. I and friends have also done very well with pink craft fur. Clousers are another great fly for Redfish and Specs. All of above is fishing in the marshes. Fishing out of kayaks we have no reason to fish in water above our heads.lol

Most everyone throws an 8 wt. for Redfish but the Specs. you could use a 6 wt. Using a WF floating line is most common since we are normally fishing water less than 6' and more like 1'-3'. Some will use floracarbon leaders and the people who don't will use floracarbon tippet. I throw a TFO BVK 8 wt. and really like it.

Let us know how the trip went.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:06 PM

ditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura about

Never been there but would love to go....I do know that they do use a lot of spoon flies in the shallow water areas. I have a link to one that is a really good one as I understand. If you tie your own and want the link let me know or I think I can also hook you up with the fella that developed the fly and sells them professionally.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:32 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by osok View Post
Sounds like a trip not to be missed.

True fact.

No way I can pass this up. I basically get guided time on the water for just the cost of my travel and food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osok View Post
I and alot of others on the upper coast throw a Redfish Crack. Mostly with tan craft fur with black stripes.
Would THIS be the fly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditz View Post
If you tie your own and want the link let me know or I think I can also hook you up with the fella that developed the fly and sells them professionally.
I was gonna try this SBS HERE but I would love another link please.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:27 PM

osok will become famous soon enoughosok will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=mudbug;505328]True fact.

Would THIS be the fly?

That's the Redfish Crack. Yes it is brown stripes and not black as I typed. I use pink EP instead of the color shown. Also use pink fur sometimes instead of tan.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:43 AM

Any More info from others?
Old 12-09-2012, 10:34 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

My usual saltwater line for the Gulf Coast waters (of Florida) I fish is a clear intermediate sink tip. Keeps the fly in the strike zone when stripping, and gets it down where you need it when working it slow. The 6wts are enough for the specs as long as you don't stick into something bigger. I've landed good reds on an 8wt but when working dual purpose or aiming for bigger fish, I don't mind packing the 10wt. I'd probably use a 9 if I had it, but the 10wt Allen Xa is light enough that I don't mind throwing it all day or even landing smaller with it. It will likely be seeing action here in a few weeks once I get back to Florida.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 12-10-2012, 08:50 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

I use a BVK 8wt for ther June and July Redfish, and have had no real worries with fish up to 14 pounds. I have also used the TFO TiCrX and an Orvis Helios in 8wt. IMHO I think the 8's are perfect. We tried some 7wt rods (a loomis NRX and a TiCr) but they were lacking a bit when we had to keep a big fish away from a weed bed.

We basically stayed with the Spoon Flies....there was never any reason to switch. A floating line is best in the Marshes as the water is rarely over a couple feet deep. Rio's Redfish taper is good, but the Outbound Short and Titan Taper are awesome. Fluorocarbon leaders are the norm due to their better abrasion resistance. I used Rio's redfish tapered leader in 20#, and tied on Seagar Grand Max 18.5# Fluor tippet. A micro swivel between the leader and tippet kept my line from twisting with the dpoon flies. Best advice I can give is practice casting while balancing on a stool. I tend to shift my weight when I cast, and if you rock the boat it will spook the reds in that shallow water.

If you want to try and throw some big top-water poppers, I recommend you go up to a nine or ten wt rod. If there is any wind, the extra line weight will help get that big wind resistant fly out there. Good luck! I absolutely love Louisiana, specifically the Cocodrie area.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:44 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Mudbug: I've never fished for Redfish but it is definitely on my bucket list.....be sure to take lots of photos and post a trip report when you get back, what an awesome opportunity you have. I'm jealous!

For some additional information you might want to listen to the episodes on Ask About Fly Fishing on Redfish fishing, you will have to sign up for a temporary membership to listen to the archive broadcasts but it is free, at least inititally. On page 10 of the archive there is an episode titled "Big Redfish in the Louisana Bayous" by Alec Griffin.
Show Archive - Ask About Fly Fishing
Then there is another episode on page 14 of the archive titled "Redfish on the Fly" by John Kumiski.
Show Archive - Ask About Fly Fishing
The Orvis fly fishing podcast by Tom Rosenbauer has an episode titled "On the Hunt for Redfish with Capt Dave Hunt".
Orvis Podcasts - Fly Fishing Guide and Double Barrel

Larry

Old 12-10-2012, 05:32 PM

ditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura about

FlyTyingForum.com - Kirk's Spoon Fly

There is a link for the SBS on this spoon. I understand it is a winner. I have attained the stuff for it but have yet to build any. I hope to get to them this winter.