The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Saltwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/saltwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   Heavy Line Bite Tippet Knot (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/saltwater-fly-fishing/304822-heavy-line-bite-tippet-knot.html)

mrfzx 12-10-2012 11:39 AM

Heavy Line Bite Tippet Knot

I know there have been some questions in prior threads about how to attach the fly to very heavy bite tippets for tarpon and other larger fish. I asked my father-in-law, who is in Costa Rica right now, to video our favorite guide "Speedy" tying on a fly. So here it is. he is attaching 130 pound mono to one of our weighted tarpon flies. the knot is basically a version of the Lefty No-Slip Knot, but only going around the main-line once instead of multiple times. We have never had a Tarpon cause this knot to fail, and as you can see at the end of the video, it is easy to un-do to change flies. I would not try this version of the knot for lines lighter than 80 pound.

I have never tried attaching a video before.....so here goes....

http://s764.beta.photobucket.com/use...X62Mb.mp4.html

By the way his name is actually "Spide", but they pronounce it "speedy".

dean_mt 12-10-2012 01:39 PM

Re: Heavy Line Bite Tippet Knot

Video no go. Is hosted at on a site like youtube or vimeo? If so, I think all you have to do is click the "insert image" icon and then paste the url in.

Guest1 12-10-2012 02:23 PM

Actually for a video you click on the globe with the chain link. Then paste the URl in the popup. If you click on what he has there it does bring up the video. Here is the video though. For some reason Photo bucket always comes up weird. Ignore the one window. I like the knot.
" title="SpeedyKnotEX62Mb.mp4 video by mrfzx - Photobucket" target="_blank">SpeedyKnotEX62Mb.mp4 video by mrfzx - Photobucket

dean_mt 12-10-2012 03:24 PM

That is the non-slip mono loop but with only twist as opposed to 4 or 5, which is probably because of the size of the material used here. Isn't it?

mrfzx 12-10-2012 07:03 PM

Thanks Dan! Yep, that is what I would call it. We've been using it for over a decade now, and Jim, my dad-in-law has landed Tarpon up to 200 pounds on it. Yes, a reaal honest to God 200!

sweetandsalt 12-11-2012 08:06 AM

I was shown the non-slip mono loop knot by a Key's guide out of Plantation Key in the early 90's and have been using it ever since. A great knot; easy to tie and tighten, very strong and permits flies to waft down more naturally on the pause. Very important for crustacean imitating flies in particular. With heavy bite tippet, knot strength is irrelevant because the class tippet would part long before even a 50% knot would fail in the thick flouro bite so a one-turn non-slip loop is a great idea (a stronger multi-turn conventional version would be way too bulky). A knot I have seen used in the Keys on the bight is a figure eight knot where, rather than an overhand knot, a figure eight two pass through knot is tied in the tippet, passed through the eye then passed twice trough the figure eight with a single turn finish around the standing line. Actually this is similar to Speedy's version except for the figure eight as opposed to an over-hand starter knot. And for the class tippet to the bight tippet material another Key's knot is the standard, the famous Albright Knot.

wjc 12-11-2012 08:27 AM

Wow, that is indeed a huge tarpon, and right in there with the world fly records. Yes, there are lots of knots that work - espectially with thick bite tippets where knot strength is not important.

I've got this teaser rig that drags a school of rubber fish behind it each attached with 130 lb mono and with 300# as the leader for the rig. For that application, I use crimps to make the loops and splices.

pete a 12-11-2012 12:26 PM

that knot (with 2-3 twists for lighter than 15#) is the 'go to" knot for many fisherman here on the Texas coast. This includes casting and fly. It allows the best action and though not the strongest knot it is still plenty strong.

I use it on just about all of my fishing for final knot to fly/lure/hook. I figure the fly/lure/bait has best action.

Never tried to undo it though as I always felt the kinks & bends in the knot would cause issues when retying/holding.

Once mastered it be easy to tie and use only minimal length of tippet after break-off or new lure/fly change.

Pete A.

mrfzx 12-11-2012 12:31 PM

Yeah he lives in CR 6 months of the year, and has been fishing exclusively for Tarpon more than 50 days a year for the past 17 years.

wjc 12-12-2012 10:40 PM

Sounds to me like he lives in heaven. :D