The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mrfzx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 11:39 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold
Default Heavy Line Bite Tippet Knot

I know there have been some questions in prior threads about how to attach the fly to very heavy bite tippets for tarpon and other larger fish. I asked my father-in-law, who is in Costa Rica right now, to video our favorite guide "Speedy" tying on a fly. So here it is. he is attaching 130 pound mono to one of our weighted tarpon flies. the knot is basically a version of the Lefty No-Slip Knot, but only going around the main-line once instead of multiple times. We have never had a Tarpon cause this knot to fail, and as you can see at the end of the video, it is easy to un-do to change flies. I would not try this version of the knot for lines lighter than 80 pound.

I have never tried attaching a video before.....so here goes....

Click the image to open in full size.

By the way his name is actually "Spide", but they pronounce it "speedy".

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.

Last edited by mrfzx; 12-10-2012 at 11:40 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-10-2012, 01:39 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Heavy Line Bite Tippet Knot

Video no go. Is hosted at on a site like youtube or vimeo? If so, I think all you have to do is click the "insert image" icon and then paste the url in.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:23 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually for a video you click on the globe with the chain link. Then paste the URl in the popup. If you click on what he has there it does bring up the video. Here is the video though. For some reason Photo bucket always comes up weird. Ignore the one window. I like the knot.
" title="SpeedyKnotEX62Mb.mp4 video by mrfzx - Photobucket" target="_blank">SpeedyKnotEX62Mb.mp4 video by mrfzx - Photobucket
Old 12-10-2012, 03:24 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

That is the non-slip mono loop but with only twist as opposed to 4 or 5, which is probably because of the size of the material used here. Isn't it?
Old 12-10-2012, 07:03 PM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Dan! Yep, that is what I would call it. We've been using it for over a decade now, and Jim, my dad-in-law has landed Tarpon up to 200 pounds on it. Yes, a reaal honest to God 200!
Guest1 likes this.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Old 12-11-2012, 08:06 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I was shown the non-slip mono loop knot by a Key's guide out of Plantation Key in the early 90's and have been using it ever since. A great knot; easy to tie and tighten, very strong and permits flies to waft down more naturally on the pause. Very important for crustacean imitating flies in particular. With heavy bite tippet, knot strength is irrelevant because the class tippet would part long before even a 50% knot would fail in the thick flouro bite so a one-turn non-slip loop is a great idea (a stronger multi-turn conventional version would be way too bulky). A knot I have seen used in the Keys on the bight is a figure eight knot where, rather than an overhand knot, a figure eight two pass through knot is tied in the tippet, passed through the eye then passed twice trough the figure eight with a single turn finish around the standing line. Actually this is similar to Speedy's version except for the figure eight as opposed to an over-hand starter knot. And for the class tippet to the bight tippet material another Key's knot is the standard, the famous Albright Knot.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:27 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Wow, that is indeed a huge tarpon, and right in there with the world fly records. Yes, there are lots of knots that work - espectially with thick bite tippets where knot strength is not important.

I've got this teaser rig that drags a school of rubber fish behind it each attached with 130 lb mono and with 300# as the leader for the rig. For that application, I use crimps to make the loops and splices.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:26 PM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

that knot (with 2-3 twists for lighter than 15#) is the 'go to" knot for many fisherman here on the Texas coast. This includes casting and fly. It allows the best action and though not the strongest knot it is still plenty strong.

I use it on just about all of my fishing for final knot to fly/lure/hook. I figure the fly/lure/bait has best action.

Never tried to undo it though as I always felt the kinks & bends in the knot would cause issues when retying/holding.

Once mastered it be easy to tie and use only minimal length of tippet after break-off or new lure/fly change.

Pete A.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:31 PM

Yeah he lives in CR 6 months of the year, and has been fishing exclusively for Tarpon more than 50 days a year for the past 17 years.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:40 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Sounds to me like he lives in heaven.