The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 03:54 PM

flatsninja is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Does anyone else target these?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditz View Post
I did put a few casts at what I thought was a small ray that was patroling an area that I frequented last winter. I did not spend a lot of time at it but I could get no interest from it with the shrimp pattern that I was using.
yer im sure the best way to tempt one would be to put it right infornt of its nose and very stowly twitch occasioanlly
Old 12-22-2012, 12:27 PM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

No way, here on the gulf coast sting rays are a constant real hazard, far greater than a shark/snake/alligator/power boat attack. Even a very small one can penetrate the best Simms waders. Actually the smallers ones are worse.

We see them often when wadefish but learned at an early age to do the "schuffle' when wading. This is where you slide/schuffle your feet when wading. Muddies the water quite a bit but is shoo's them away. They eat the same food reds, flounder and spec's eat so are often thick in good fishing areas. Carefull when slipping out of a boat for a wade.

I've hooked and landed them with convential tackle but it is darn tricky to handle them without killing them. Most of the time we cut the line at the leader and say bye bye. I've not been spiked but have been when people in party were. It makes tough guys scream in pain and takes quite a while to heal.

No thanks.

Pete A.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:07 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

Bob Popivics and few of us on the jersey coast go after cow nosed rays in jersey.at least I did till I moved here. check this out : http://www.aswf.info/images/holeymoley.pdf
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..