The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 06:22 AM

flatsninja is on a distinguished road
Default Does anyone else target these?

Hello, was in the water today throwing around a shrimp pattern and sight casted to this fella(below in pic) got me thinking, they seem very tricky to get one on the hook, they seem like a good target for catch and release casting worm or shrimp patterns on the flats assuming you have them in america lol i thought they are global fish, has anyone else ever targeted stingray?
Click the image to open in full size.
i had to make alot of repeated casts to get it perfectly near its snout when it jumped over it but i struck to early and it got a little above its mouth, a tip for dehooking them would be to use barbless, reel the fly all the way to the front guide then just push the fly out with the rod so you dont get stung.
itchmesir likes this.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:11 AM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Does anyone else target these?

Is that a stingray or a skate? We have both here as well as cow nose rays a little further south but have never targeted them. I know some Jersey guys target the cow nose rays with surf gear and bait.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:26 AM

trout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to all

Hi Ninja,

Ah-yes, Skates & Rays - Some are real powerhouses.
What is your local name for that species?

Where I once lived, it was almost impossible to not hook Mud Marlin ( a.k.a Bat Rays ) if you spent much time on the flats with a fly rod.
See: California Department of Fish & Game, Marine Region, Marine Sportfish Identification: Rays

“Targeting” is a word that might get some hackles up in certain locales. Some don’t understand that these fish are not the Manta’s that they may have swam amongst.

The bigger ones would put a real bow in a nine weight as they headed for another zip code. Just need to keep away from the business end of their stinger while releasing them. Some folks would keep them for table-fare.

Amazingly diverse world we live in, isn’t it.
TT
Old 12-18-2012, 02:41 PM

fichy will become famous soon enough

I've caught numbers of skates on the east coast of the US and been towed in my float tube in San Diego Bay by the bat rays tt mentioned. The bats never got landed as I was using a 6 wt. and getting them up and unhooked was a bit, uh, unhealthy, for all involved. Not glamorous, but certainly fun.

Charlie
Old 12-18-2012, 02:58 PM

flatsninja is on a distinguished road

in aus thats just called a sand stingray which dont grow very big, i wasnt refering to catching anything big like the large mat sized ones but yere
Old 12-18-2012, 07:23 PM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future

Caught a bunch of diffrent rays and skates over the years . But never targeted them . They fight hard and the real big ones can really give you a battle! Even caught one on a popper on top on a flat fishing for cudas! That big ray gave me the fight of a lifetime. Funny the few times I ever purposely casted at them they wouldn't hit!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 12-18-2012, 07:33 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I tell ya what, when Im in Florida in 2 weeks, Im going to target anything and everything swimming in that water.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 12-19-2012, 10:06 AM

Location: Afghanistan/North Central Florida/AC, Belize for 2 mo/yr
fishindave is on a distinguished road

Geoff, Where ya headed to in FL?...Great place in the winter. Lots of opportunity.

OH MY! OMAN! 2013
"All I want from life is an unfair advantage" W.C. Fields
Old 12-19-2012, 11:39 AM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

I did put a few casts at what I thought was a small ray that was patroling an area that I frequented last winter. I did not spend a lot of time at it but I could get no interest from it with the shrimp pattern that I was using.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:55 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishindave View Post
Geoff, Where ya headed to in FL?...Great place in the winter. Lots of opportunity.
Sarasota. Gonna bother AJ for a couple of days!

Storm Drain Bonefisher