The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 06:27 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Your favorite species of fish to catch on a fly rod?

atlantic salmon.
Gary
Old 12-29-2012, 07:39 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Your favorite species of fish to catch on a fly rod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw View Post
Bluefish they are just plain mean!!
If bluefish grew any bigger, they'd own the sea.
They kill for fun, puke it up and then kill some more.
They have no fear of you and if you come too close to them they'll take a chunk out of ya.
When you land one, their devil eyes are always on you and you just know that given a chance, they'd rip your arm off.
There's no more worthy adversary.
Guest1 and swirlchaser like this.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:04 AM

thorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura about

Hello,

I love Graylings and Brown Trouts But each fish on a fly rod is an awesome experience
kglissmeyer1 and wt bash like this.

THORSTEN
Old 12-29-2012, 09:08 AM

lightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the rough

Tarpon. The perfect game fish. It's Appearance. Environment (warm!). Behavior. Fight. Challenge. Survival ability. The way it takes a fly. You usually see it. They roll to give you a casting target. They all jump and show their brilliance. One about 20 pounds is the best of the best. On a 7 weight.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:20 PM

hsmith1313 is on a distinguished road

The one I'm getting ready to cast too.
wt bash likes this.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:38 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Easy answer for me - Spring Creek Brown Trout:

Click the image to open in full size.

Kelly.
wt bash likes this.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:08 PM

gotimbers is on a distinguished road

In the early 80s a couple of us decided to try to catch some Pacific Bonito on fly gear. We knew how to catch them on spinning tackle in Redondo Harbor in So. Cal. These fish, maybe 5lbs. max, would give you everything you could handle on 6lb.-class spinning gear. I'm talking 100+ yd. runs if time isn't distorting (exaggerating?) my memory. Well, we had crappy Fenwick 6 wt. glass rods and Medalist reels. My buddy had a Boston Whaler and we got out there and into some fish. I had no idea what I was doing, couldn't really even cast, but somehow hooked a "Bonehead" as we called them. I wish there was video because it must have looked hilarious. I think I had it on for about 15 seconds. I came away with nothing but bloody knuckles, a rat's nest on my reel, and a broken tippet. We never hooked another one and never made it back out there. I've always wanted to go back and see if the bonito are still there and take another shot at them. If there's a better light tackle fish anywhere I've never encountered it.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:21 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
If bluefish grew any bigger, they'd own the sea.
They kill for fun, puke it up and then kill some more.
They have no fear of you and if you come too close to them they'll take a chunk out of ya.
When you land one, their devil eyes are always on you and you just know that given a chance, they'd rip your arm off.
There's no more worthy adversary.
I witnessed an attack. I went with some guys from my Submarine School class to the beach. One of them was out in belly button deep water and yelled "Hey you guys! Come look at this. There's all these big fish and they are not even afraid of me." 10 seconds later he's running for his life screaming bloody murder. One of them took a nasty chunk out of his foot. Yah, they weren't afraid of him. I caught one there a few days later that was into the teens. Biggest one I ever caught. I have never had a fish track me like they do when you are unhooking them. If you give them a chance you will never point with that hand again.

I heard once that a pretty major percentage of so called shark attacks on the East Coast are in reallity Bluefish. I laugh in that one Jaws Movie when the Sherriff starts yelling to clear the beach, Shark! Then goes, "Oh it's OK, only Bluefish." I laugh everytime I see that and tell whoever I'm with the "Hey! They're not even afraid of me." story.

I used to watch them attack baitballs of Menhaden while I was on the docks at the Sub Base. You have never witnessed carnage like that till you see what they do to them.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:39 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I was swimming in the middle of a bluefish blitz once myself... big ones.
It's not something that you want to do.

Last edited by Rip Tide; 01-03-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:40 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Make it out with all your parts still attached?