The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Saltwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/saltwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   Your favorite species of fish to catch on a fly rod? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/saltwater-fly-fishing/306459-your-favorite-species-fish-catch-fly-rod.html)

bonekiller100 12-28-2012 07:53 PM

Your favorite species of fish to catch on a fly rod?

What's you favorite species of fish to catch on a fly rod?

For me it's bonefish, pound for pound they are the strongest fish and not other fish take you as far into your backing as they do..

trout trekker 12-28-2012 08:14 PM

Re: Your favorite species of fish to catch on a fly rod?

Pilot Peak strain Cutthroat.:secret:
They make me think that there is hope for our fisheries.

bigjim5589 12-28-2012 09:26 PM

I live near the Chesapeake Bay, since this is posted under Saltwater Fly Fishing, & my favorite tidal water fish is the Striped Bass, that's what I would have to go with. I've been fortunate enough to have caught them most of my adult life & a good portion of my childhood on flies & other tackle as well. Beautiful fish & they can get very large! :D

jimw 12-28-2012 09:38 PM

Bluefish they are just plain mean!!

pa dave 12-28-2012 09:40 PM

I'm with Jim on this one, I love Stripers on the fly. Blues by themselves aren't as exciting one on one, but when you get into a feeding school, that ten minutes in frenzied insanity of catching fish after fish is right up there.

Jimmie 12-28-2012 09:48 PM

Still a Rainbow Trout guy. It's all about the color on some of the natives for me.

Guest1 12-28-2012 10:03 PM

Saltwater fish it's Bluefish. They actually fight harder than Bonefish, get bigger and can turn other fish into bite sized horsdouvers.

theboz 12-29-2012 01:45 AM

Spent a lifetime chasing Stripers, from the beach , in the bay , in the surf , rivers even in potholes at the airport! They were always my favorite but the fish that come in between are pretty close seconds! Bluefish are a blast and fight to the death not to mention destroy every fly they touch! Weakfish are an art form all to themselves especially the big ones cause if you push them to hard you can kiss them goodbye. Their cousins the seatrout are a blast especially at night when their chasing bait under the lights . Big fluke can be as challenging to land as they are to hookup.
Heading south Snook are the Stripers of the south and their habits and fight are similiar. And your first run from even the smallest Bonefish and you'll swear you never want to catch anything else! And speaking of knuckle busting runs I love false albacore and for that matter any of the tunas!
And not to leave out Tarpon that basically scare the heck out of me with every tackle breaking move!
So I guess what I'm saying is Stripers are my # 1 but really if it swims and will take a fly I'm loving it!

thewalker1013 12-29-2012 03:25 AM

Love stripers, but big LA reds is where it's at for this guy :bowdown:

In the salt, that is

noreaster 12-29-2012 07:12 AM

Sea run brookies all the way.:D