The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 06:53 PM

bonekiller100 is on a distinguished road
Default Your favorite species of fish to catch on a fly rod?

What's you favorite species of fish to catch on a fly rod?

For me it's bonefish, pound for pound they are the strongest fish and not other fish take you as far into your backing as they do..
Old 12-28-2012, 07:14 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Your favorite species of fish to catch on a fly rod?

Pilot Peak strain Cutthroat.
They make me think that there is hope for our fisheries.
thewalker1013 likes this.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:26 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

I live near the Chesapeake Bay, since this is posted under Saltwater Fly Fishing, & my favorite tidal water fish is the Striped Bass, that's what I would have to go with. I've been fortunate enough to have caught them most of my adult life & a good portion of my childhood on flies & other tackle as well. Beautiful fish & they can get very large!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 12-28-2012, 08:38 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

Bluefish they are just plain mean!!
Rip Tide likes this.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:40 PM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough

I'm with Jim on this one, I love Stripers on the fly. Blues by themselves aren't as exciting one on one, but when you get into a feeding school, that ten minutes in frenzied insanity of catching fish after fish is right up there.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:48 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Still a Rainbow Trout guy. It's all about the color on some of the natives for me.
horseman_37601 likes this.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:03 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Saltwater fish it's Bluefish. They actually fight harder than Bonefish, get bigger and can turn other fish into bite sized horsdouvers.
wt bash and theboz like this.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:45 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Spent a lifetime chasing Stripers, from the beach , in the bay , in the surf , rivers even in potholes at the airport! They were always my favorite but the fish that come in between are pretty close seconds! Bluefish are a blast and fight to the death not to mention destroy every fly they touch! Weakfish are an art form all to themselves especially the big ones cause if you push them to hard you can kiss them goodbye. Their cousins the seatrout are a blast especially at night when their chasing bait under the lights . Big fluke can be as challenging to land as they are to hookup.
Heading south Snook are the Stripers of the south and their habits and fight are similiar. And your first run from even the smallest Bonefish and you'll swear you never want to catch anything else! And speaking of knuckle busting runs I love false albacore and for that matter any of the tunas!
And not to leave out Tarpon that basically scare the heck out of me with every tackle breaking move!
So I guess what I'm saying is Stripers are my # 1 but really if it swims and will take a fly I'm loving it!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 12-29-2012, 02:25 AM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

Love stripers, but big LA reds is where it's at for this guy

In the salt, that is
Old 12-29-2012, 06:12 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Sea run brookies all the way.
wt bash likes this.