The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bigjim5589

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 04:30 PM

bonekiller100 is on a distinguished road
Default tiemco 811s vs Gama SL11-3h hook for bonefish

Which is is better for bonefish? I know both hooks are good, but which hook is sharper and stronger?

I 've lost tons of huge fish this month on the mustad3407 due to lack of penetration and straightening.. Need a new brand of hooks.. Thanks
Old 12-29-2012, 05:29 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: tiemco 811s vs Gama SL11-3h hook for bonefish

Better is subjective. I don't recall ever straightening a 3407. I've bent a few, but then that was on Striped Bass & Bluefish.

If it makes any difference, the Tiemco 811s is a stainless hook, while that Gama is carbon steel with a tinned finish. IMO, carbon steel hooks usually stay sharper longer than stainless, and with these types of hooks, are often slightly stronger when the wire diameter is the same.
theboz likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 12-29-2012, 06:08 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
Better is subjective. I don't recall ever straightening a 3407. I've bent a few, but then that was on Striped Bass & Bluefish.

If it makes any difference, the Tiemco 811s is a stainless hook, while that Gama is carbon steel with a tinned finish. IMO, carbon steel hooks usually stay sharper longer than stainless, and with these types of hooks, are often slightly stronger when the wire diameter is the same.
Yeah, a 3407 wouldn't straighten on any bonefish.
You gotta sharpen them though. I use a Dremel tool.
Where I fish, the plated hooks always hold up better than stainless, even though they rust. It's a trade off and you need to decide what's best for you.
Personally I rarely tie with stainless
Old 12-29-2012, 06:44 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

I don't have any issues with stainless, except they've gotten quite expensive compared to tinned hooks. I'll still buy them & use them when I can get them at a good price, but have been getting away from them somewhat. Personally, I've become very fond of VMC 9255 hooks, which are a plated hook & similar to the Mustad 3407, but IMO a stronger & sharper hook straight from the package. I don't mind sharpening hooks & don't worry about the rusting either.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 12-29-2012, 08:06 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

I personally love the gamakatsu sl45
Old 12-31-2012, 10:06 PM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

We tie our Tarpon flies exclusively on the 811s.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.