The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 02:26 PM

angelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: 1st time fly fishing salt need some help guys.

Thanks for all your advice. Maybe this will help to:

1. I would mainly be fishing the striper Run usually late March and April than back in the fall when the temps are reaching 50 degrees (water temp).

2. Fishing early morning 5am to about 10am before the wind does picks up, Stripers are chasing bunker at this time what I know and what my cousins tell me also seen it for myself, Some are as close as 10ft from the beach others reaching 50-60ft out still within range. The bunker are about between 5in-10in also the herring are reaching that range.

3. I have seen Blue's reaching 12pounds and stripers pushing 30pounds occasionally but mostly 10-17pounds are sort of average there (Biggest I've seen caught there was in the late 90's that was 42pounds using Squid)

4. I always fish the striper run spring and fall (Bucktails, swimbaits) bottom fishing (clams, bloodworms, etc). In the summer I might go out for weakfish or what ever will take a fly..

I will need some practice maybe since I never use a fly rod heavier than a 5wt. I don't know who fly fishes Salt in my area, Any advice what flies they are more likely to hit. Colors? I know bunker/herring/eel flies will be good. But what else?
Old 01-02-2013, 02:32 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Substitute the red in the Micky Finn for black and you have a deadly fly. I went through stages where I would try and tie every epoxy head baitfish pattern, all the big synthetic stuff and other patterns that were the rage at the time until one day I couldn't get a blue to take a white/blue bucktail and everyone on the beach was tight to a fish. The only other guy with a fly rod handed me a yellow and black bucktail streamer tied on a #1 circle hook it was game set match! I fished that thing till there were three strands of hair left and didn't lose the fly till the last cast and that was because I didn't retie. Bringing me to my next point you don't always need wire. Sometimes blues get shy especially when you're around alot of gear guys chucking tin and plugs. More so than not blues aren't leader shy but if the conditions are right a handful of circle hooks can save a day from a skunking.

The big weakfish will be in that marshy stuff right around the same times as the stripers in the spring
Old 01-02-2013, 02:47 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo1987 View Post
Any advice what flies they are more likely to hit. Colors? I know bunker/herring/eel flies will be good. But what else?
Sand eels are wicked important around here as are silversides.
You will have to know how to 'match-the-hatch' though.
One place I fish, the sand eels are never larger than 1 1/2 inches while another place I fish the average size is 6-7 inches
With silversides, sometimes you're dealing with juveniles, sometimes with adults, sometimes both.....

You didn't think this was going to be easy, did ya ?

As for colors.... much of the time I use the "Rays fly" colors of olive over yellow over white.
Other times I try to match the color of the sky. For example, black at night, pink at dusk, yellow during the day.... like that.
Color is not nearly as important as length/profile/action
( but you know what Lefty sez...... "It ain't not use if it ain't chartreuse" )
Old 01-02-2013, 03:15 PM

angelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the rough

It might take a little while but I'll get into the groove. The only thing I ain't liking is the price for the flies $5-$9 bucks for one. I need to do my homework on what they are eating at certain times I still have 2 months. Should I go more with a 9ft leader? Talking about weakfish Fortescue NJ (Where I be fishing) is known as the Weakfish capital but people were just catching way too many, today they are making a true comeback since the new law is only keep one. Personally I think it should be C.N.R
Old 01-02-2013, 03:28 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I normally use a basic 8' leader tied in three sections from mono.
4' 40#test - 2' 25#test,-2' 16# test. You can vary that however you like. You just need something to turn over your fly. I don't like anything longer (except on the flats) because when landing a fish I don't need to think about the line/leader knot getting stuck in the tip-top.

Tying SW flies is easy. Everything is big and simple is as good as complicated.
Much better to tie your own.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:47 PM

Since there big flies is it better to use tapered leaders or can you use basic fluorocarbon fishing line? When I'am fishing for Bass I use what I have available and regular fishing line works well. Looking around and Fluorocarbon leader's are very expensive just for one.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:09 PM

Like I said
I use the 3 part tapered leader of mono most of the time. That's primarily to turn over the fly.
When I fish top-water I'll go to a single section 6' leader of straight mono.

Fluorocarbon ? Saltwater gamefish are not afraid of mono.
I suppose that it's possible to scare the baitfish with mono but in my experience the game fish don't give a hoot.
If it's a concern that the bait fish will be driven off by the use of mono, then go ahead and switch to the fluoro, but in my mind the fluoro is not necessary.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:57 PM

I prefer the Fluorocarbon it's more stronger over mono. I like using Mono sometimes for panfish it has a nice stretch. I'am thinking to use straight 20lb fluorocarbon about 9ft. (Tapered) It should turn over the fly with no problem
Old 01-02-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo1987 View Post
I prefer the Fluorocarbon it's more stronger over mono. I like using Mono sometimes for panfish it has a nice stretch. I'am thinking to use straight 20lb fluorocarbon about 9ft. (Tapered) It should turn over the fly with no problem
You go right ahead !
Old 01-02-2013, 06:26 PM

Thanks for you knowledge and advice.