The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 12:22 AM

angelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the rough
Default 1st time fly fishing salt need some help guys.

I never Fly fish Saltwater before my target fish are from Stripers bluefish weakfish etc what ever takes it. I'll be fishing the Delaware Bay on the beaches in NJ. I'am getting a 8wt 9ft Rod. I just need to know some things:

1. Should I use a Steel Wire Leader?

2. What size Leader should I be using (pounds)?

3. Should I be able to throw a 3/0 fly?

4. The combo that I'am getting comes with freshwater line would be useful in Saltwater?

5. After each use should I rinse down rod/reel/line?

Thanks.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:32 AM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: 1st time fly fishing salt need some help guys.

1) I only use wire leader if the blues are big and everywhere! When i use wire i use 20# tieable wire by surflon
2)I always tie my own leaders which are simply 4.5 feet of 30# 3feet of 20# and 2 feet of 16# tippet
3) You should be able to throw a 3/0 with no problem but most of my flies are between size2 and 1/0
4) I would not buy a kit type combo look for a better quality used set up
5) I usually spray my stuff down with a hose and i also wash them with a soapy rag and pay alot of attention to the guides and reel seat areas they seem to rust/corrode first.
6) I would get an intermediate line before a floater for the surf i use an intermediate 9wt 98% of the time. I also use a nine weight 98% of the time. The 9wt is very well suited for the wind you will encounter in the area, an 8wt can be tough on windy days
Old 01-02-2013, 07:41 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...hing-surf.html

I only fish 3/0 if I have to. 95% of the time you can use size 2-2/0 and you'll be fine
I know a guy that ties all of his SW flies on 1/0, no exception

I fish a normal freshwater floating line much of the time myself but most people go with the intermediate. If you're going to cast and strip that's what will work best in most situations.
I like my floating line for dead drifting current and mending over breakers.

I normally fish an 8wt rod too, but rarely with a 8wt line. One of my rods works best with 9wt lines and the other likes 11s... really. It's the line that casts the fly
When it's really windy, like up over 25 knots, I'll switch to a 10wt rod, 12wt line.

I watch Craig's list alot and I see many good saltwater combos for sale
The recent drop in the striper population has shied away all but the hardcore fly anglers
Old 01-02-2013, 09:13 AM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

As the other replies have indicated, an 8 wt will work, but there will always be variables, such as the wind that might make it not the ideal setup on some days.
That's just the way it is in the salt.

For that area, the main issue with any line will be that it has enough mass to cast the bigger flies. Modern line materials are often temperature orientated, so it doesn't matter whether it's advertised to be for freshwater or salt, as long as you're using it within an environment with a suitable temperature. You should be fine, unless the line is intended for tropical waters.

If possible, it's not a bad idea to have both a floating line & an intermediate. That would require an additional spool for your reel. I use both depending on where I'm fishing & what type flies I'm using. Frankly, I'm a bit cheap, so I've bought lines that are not sold for saltwater, yet for the fishing I do, where casting distance is not a big issue, they work fine. Most of the time I'm casting within 50 ft of my position. Still, I like WF lines that have a good, heavy front taper, such as those sold as Bass, Striper or Tarpon lines. There are differences, but I've yet to see that it has made any difference for the fishing I do. It's when you start to get into the casting distances over that 50 ft mark, that the line design really is an issue. Of course, the rod & line have to work well together too.

Stay away from level or DT lines in the salt, as they really are not what you want with big flies.

An 8 wt will cast most 3/0 size flies. Again, the issues will be with wind or wind resistance of the fly & how far you need to cast. Like the others, I generally use 1/0 -3/0 size flies, but I also use a 9 or 10 wt. However, I've used an 8 wt too quite a bit in creeks & rivers which is likely better for that wt than the beach. All depends on the conditions.

I also use tieable wire for Blues, or I add the wire ahead of time with crimps & a loop. I use 20 lb test tippets quite a bit and for the occasional Blue, that's fine. You'll lose fish to bite off's either way. I prefer not to use the wire when possible, but still carry some in 10 to 20 lb test.

Keep your leaders as simple as possible. If you're not into making them, then buy a tapered leader in the 7 1/2 to 9 ft range & at least 15 lb test on the tippet end. Heavier is better the bigger the flies.

Yes, salt will destroy any equipment, so clean it well immediately after use in saltwater. I use a product called Salt-X too. It's expensive but has worked well for me.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

Last edited by bigjim5589; 01-02-2013 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:19 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
. Frankly, I'm a bit cheap, so I've bought lines that are not sold for saltwater, yet for the fishing I do, where casting distance is not a big issue, they work fine. Most of the time I'm casting within 50 ft of my position. Still, I like WF lines that have a good, heavy front taper, such as those sold as Bass, Striper or Tarpon lines. There are differences, but I've yet to see that it has made any difference for the fishing I do. It's when you start to get into the casting distances over that 50 ft mark, that the line design really is an issue. Of course, the rod & line have to work well together too.

Stay away from level or DT lines in the salt, as they really are not what you want with big flies.
Not to confuse things, but I used to use a DT10F line in the surf. There's an advantage to the long distance mending that a line like that can handle. I don't have one now but if I did, I'd use it.

What I do use is a regular WF line that I've cut the level tip off of just before the start of the front taper. About 8 inches
By doing this you're moving the "weight" of the "weight forward", forward making it more like a line designed as a saltwater or bass taper.... without the added expense of a "specialty" line.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:06 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Angelo you have gotten excellent advice from Jim, bigjim and Riptide. The only thing I can add has to do with where you fish and your familiarity with the fishing there. Have you fished this area with spinning or conventional gear? What kinda of casts did you need to reach productive water? What do you generally catch there , are they school size fish or are they hogs? Are they feeding on small crustaceans or are they chasing adult bunker? Is it a flat bay area or is it heavy surf? Are you shore or boat fishing?
All these questions will help determine what kind of setup you need to fish there more successfully.
For example I may use a 10/11 wt with wf floating line in the south shore surf and then a 7/8 wt on flat north shore. On a boat at Montauk 9/10 wt with a shooting head for quick casts but in the surf something diffrent all together.
All around I like a 9 wt with a wf line but that's my preference you have to figure out what you need for your situation!

---------- Post added at 02:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 PM ----------

Just a point when I started fishing in salt with a fly I was a kid. I had a Wonderrod and a Pfleuger Medalist with level floating line. The only flys were just plain white bucktails and I did fine with cocktail blues , school stripers , small weakfish and the occasional fluke!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 01-02-2013, 01:26 PM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice

AAAHHH......the Pflueger Medalist. I am still using them too. Even in the salt. I just rinse everything in warm soapy water after each outing. I don't get to fish the salt much though. Just a few weeks each year. I do use saltwater taper lines on my heavier outfits from 7wt and up and they work just fine for bass too. I did recently buy a 9wt outfit for the salt. I hope I get to get it in the brine this winter.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:30 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Not to confuse things, but I used to use a DT10F line in the surf. There's an advantage to the long distance mending that a line like that can handle. I don't have one now but if I did, I'd use it.
Rip, I thought this might come up when I posted. My thought is that since he's just started, casting the larger flies will be his primary issue and he'll likely get the best use from a WF. I don't think his concerns will be that much on mending line at any great distance where he'll be fishing.

You're point is certainly a valid one, and something that might have some use once he gets some experience.

I've also cut back sections on WF lines to get more weight up front. However, if he starts with a line designated for throwing larger flies to begin with, he'll likely not have to get into that until later on.

Ebay & Closeout Sales can be your friend!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 01-02-2013, 02:06 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

For the Bay side you'll be fine with an 8wt and I'm envious as you're pretty close to Egg Island and those marshes down that way, can you say tide runners!. For the Jetties and beaches around OC down to the Cape the 8wt can be limiting but you will overtime develop little tricks and techniques to make due. I think Riptide had mentioned it in an earlier thread but Fly Roding the Coast is a good reference for figuring out sandbars, channels, and finding structure where there seems there is none which can help you focus on the areas where you don't need to bomb out a cast beyond the breakers. Man I miss fishing the salt, Ohio sucks!
Old 01-02-2013, 02:23 PM

Yeah, Fly Rodding the Coast by Ed Mitchel... an excellent book
here's his blog" which includes a few of his old magazine articles.

I started with a Conolon rod and a Medalist reel.
You learn how to take care of your gear real fast when you're using freshwater tackle in the salt
The only streamers that I knew how to tie back then were the black nose dace and the Micky Finn bucktails. I'm sure that they would work as well today as most anything else
theboz likes this.