The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 03:24 AM

alex2 will become famous soon enough
Default Leaser set up for baby black marlin

Hi there all,

After many years of sad warm water fishing, we are now having a great inshore run of baby black marlin. At this time of year they are normally up to 50 kg.
Over the years I have caught many on conventional gear but never on fly.

I'm after some advice regarding leaders for fly. I found that anything over 100lb would turn them off, so i guess 100lb at the fly would be great.

I need some advice on the leader/tippet setup as I have no idea.
100lb straight off the fly line is a bit mean?

Thanks.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:51 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaser set up for baby black marlin

I wouldn't do that. When the Marlin strips you out into backing, you don't want the backing being the weakest line. It's a great way to loose a fly line. Make a leader with a test tippet less than your backing and Albright a 100lb Bite tippet on. I'd avoid the 100 lb. level leader.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:33 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Dan is correct. A level leader is a bad idea. I realize with the "sword" of the Marlin a longer bite tippet may be desirable. Also do not underestimate the need for some type of "shock absorber" built into the leader. We iser the traditional Bimini Twist, but there are some products on the market specifically designed to stretch a bit, and a section of that in the appropriate strength would work too.

I suggest several feet of 100 pound fluorocarbon, maybe as much as 4 feet, attached to a section of 25 or 30 pound , attached to a bimini twist, attached to your butt section of leader. Total of 7 to 8 feet. Of course if you use gel spun backing in higher strengths you can use more stout leader sections. Honestly on a fly outfit, anything over 30 pound strength is un-needed, as very few fly reels have that much drag. Unless you like to lock the spool down with your hand, you'll not easily break 30 pound test leaders. Rio makes premade bimini twist leaders.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:35 AM

alex2 will become famous soon enough

Thanks again for all the great tips.
Keeping the leader braking strain under the backing braking strain is definately a great piece of advice.
I have 50lb gel spun as backing........hopfully enough
Old 01-07-2013, 04:33 PM

spnyfish is on a distinguished road

I don't have any useful knowledge for you here. I'm just gonna say, if you have to ask this question- I'm damn jealous of you