The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 08:42 PM

little yellow humpy is on a distinguished road
Default Help matching line to rod

Hello...first let me say I've enjoyed reading posts in this forum and have learned a great deal doing so. I have been fishing in the Sierra's for a year on a 5wt rod. I am trying to expand my fly fishing experience and recently purchased a used Redington RS4, 9ft., 8 wt rod. I want to give saltwater a go...probably mostly from the beach and primarily in the Monterey Bay area. Also will use the rod on our Delta system in central California. Regarding fly line, I have talked to some veteran's, read various forum posts, and researched until I'm ocean blue in the face. I think I have finally decided to go with the SA Streamer Express with the 30ft. head. (Came down to this and the Rio Outbound Short). My question is....is there anyone out there familiar enough with this rod and particular fly line who could tell me if the 7/8 250 gr or the 8/9 300gr would be best matched to the RS4 rod. I suppose the environment in which they will be fished and my level of experience (or lack of) are factors also.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:14 PM

zug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Help matching line to rod

I'm not familar with the Reddinton RS4, but as a guide to make a guess, I would look at 2 things. The action of the rod and your ability to cast. I have a TFO TiCr 9' 8wt which is very fast action and found out my timing wasn't quite up to snuff so I changed to a 24' 300gr sink tip Rio Mainstream trout line and it helped me greatly. I tend to hurry my forward cast a little bit and the heavier line helped me load the rod more consistently
Old 01-06-2013, 02:08 AM

little yellow humpy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Help matching line to rod

Thanks for the input. I've considered both. I know the RS4 is a somewhat fast stick from what I was told and have read, but not super fast. I'm just learning how to "feel" the difference. Thought someone who knows this rod and its tendencies could add some insight. As a relative novice, my tempo isn't always the best I'm sure. I do play a lot of golf, which helps to have the concept of rhythm and tempo. Funny thing, fly fishing has actually helped my golf game somewhat in that arena.