The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 07:08 PM

hi tide is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What brand leader material do you use to build leaders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonekiller100 View Post
I'm current using rio and seguar to.. I use a blood knots. Would you mind giving me your leader formula.. thanks..
I don't get crazy technical with the leaders. The formula I use is about 60" of 30lb, 24" of 25lb, 24" of 20lb and 18" of 18.5lb seaguar Gmax tippet
I tie it together with blood knots lubed reel good and the orvis tippet knot or Albright for the tippet. The leader comes out around 10'
bonekiller100 likes this.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:16 PM

Bonefishdick is on a distinguished road

For salt I use Ande Clear, 4 feet of 30 lb and 2 ft Ande of 25 with small Bimini Loop ( just fun to make them, not really needed ) and my tippet is 20 lb trik fish.

I don't use floro, don't see the need for Stripers or Blues.

For fresh I buy 9 ft 4x tapered leaders and then use 4, 5 or 6 x Rio Powerflex for tippet.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:27 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

furled leader and Trout Hunter tippets, Nylon & Fluorocarbon.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:26 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

Does all of it qualify as a reply? I've used about everything you can think of from Stren to Seaguar, Trilene to Triple Fish and more. In general I've found a softer mono to be best for bulding leaders and I use the formulas that are in general 60%, 20%, 20% to about 50%, 25%, 25% when speaking of butt length, midsection and tippet. General rules are to match leader butt stiffness to your fly line stiffness and drop the butt material down to about 60% fly line tip diameter. From there you decrease to your tippet or class tippet. In saltwater the taper and softness is especially germaine since the wind is always a factor and the fly needs turning over at times into the wind.

For instance here's a good one, all of Trilene Big Game. "Lefty prefers a slightly softer material like Trilene Big Game.
•50% butt section, usually 40#
•1/2 that length in 30#
•1/2 that length in 20#
•18-24 inches of tippet (between #12 - #16)"

When more turnover is needed try lengthing the butt, and mid section a a tad. When less, shorten it. Watch the weather as really hot weather makes soft mono absolutely limp and you may want a bit harder but usually this balances out with the effect it has on your fly line so you just adjust your cast and move on.

Right now I favor Ande for mono tippet or when absolutely clear is needed I go to FC and use Rio or Seaguar. For bite tippet, or shock tippet as some call it, I use FC all the way.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 04-02-2013, 07:16 AM

bobbrown is on a distinguished road

For flouro leader....Orvis mirage. For mono..rio hard w/ flouro tippet.
My tarpon leaders are about 15 - 16 feet and I do much better with the stiff stuff. Then, with a heavy permit fly I like stiff also.
Now for stripers or reds where I'm fishing short leaders it doesn't make much difference IMHO