The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Saltwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/saltwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   What brand leader material do you use to build leaders? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/saltwater-fly-fishing/307236-what-brand-leader-material-do-you-use-build-leaders.html)

bonekiller100 01-06-2013 09:13 PM

What brand leader material do you use to build leaders?

Specifically for saltwater..

I'm currently using Rio Alloy hard mono but it's so stiff.. I heard maxima is also good but not as stiff..

pete a 01-07-2013 09:14 AM

Re: What brand leader material do you use to build leaders?

Flies that sink, Seaguar. Flies that float or suspend, P-line. If water very clear Seaguar.

I keep my leaders simple, only 2-3 steps, for instance, 40#, 20#, 15# in 50%,20%,30% proportions.

Pete A.

kglissmeyer1 01-07-2013 10:26 AM

I make twisted mono leaders (similar to furled but you don't need a furling jig) and have settled on Maxima Ultragreen for the majority of those I make. The idea started in the salt and moved to using this type leader in freshwater.

I use Rio for all of my tippet needs from 2X down to 6X.

Kelly.

Rip Tide 01-07-2013 11:36 AM

For my fresh water leaders, I use both Maxima and Orvis Superstrong

For salt, Climax with a softer Andie or Trilene Big Game as tippet

wishiniwerfishin 01-07-2013 04:50 PM

I use Berkeley Big Game for everything.

spnyfish 01-07-2013 05:31 PM

I used to be a die hard RIO user until I used Maxima for some of my steel heading tips. Now it's a 50-50 split. I use maxima exclusively for toothy critters tho.

ratchet 01-09-2013 03:12 AM

Mason hard leader material works for me. I like it because it is stiff and durable, but difficult to tie blood knots to join sections of different thicknesses. I keep it simple for bonefish, 25 / 16 / 12 lb test and lube my blood knots with a silicone lube before tightening down. Also stretching this line will making it lie straight as an arrow, something that I can not do with most nylon monofilaments.

hi tide 01-19-2013 03:15 AM

I use the Rio alloy saltwater tippet material for my leaders and seaguar Gmax for tippet. What knot do you use to attach thinner fluorocarbon tippet to mono leader?

bigjim5589 01-19-2013 11:08 AM

I use Yozuri Hybrid. Started using it on my bait casters, so tried it for leaders & really liked it. Been using it ever since!

bonekiller100 01-21-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hi tide (Post 517934)
I use the Rio alloy saltwater tippet material for my leaders and seaguar Gmax for tippet. What knot do you use to attach thinner fluorocarbon tippet to mono leader?

I'm current using rio and seguar to.. I use a blood knots. Would you mind giving me your leader formula.. thanks..