The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 10:42 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mako Shark on the fly

Sandfly looks like he grabbed his last leg!! Haha! Is that a small Hammerhead or a Bonnethead? Great looking either way!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 02-24-2013, 02:56 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

Now if that doesn't put a shiver down your spine...
Have someone check your pulse!
Old 02-24-2013, 06:13 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

Bonnet head, was fishing behind coast guard station in indian river De. on some flats. took a fly and when I went to unhook it it grabbed my leg and wouldn't let go..had to get it mounted...this was in 1981....
mrfzx likes this.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 02-25-2013, 09:46 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
Bonnet head, was fishing behind coast guard station in indian river De. on some flats. took a fly and when I went to unhook it it grabbed my leg and wouldn't let go..had to get it mounted...this was in 1981....
I know the Indian River Inlet area very well. My father and I used to fish the rocks and just inland from the CG station for flounder and specks. Ahhhh..... thanks triggering some great memories! Haven't been back for about 10 years now, I really need to correct that.
sandfly likes this.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:37 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
Those Bonnetheads fight like no tomorrow! And they are feisty! My son broke his rod on one in Marathon last year . For a little shark they are a lot of fun!
Nice mount BTW!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-03-2013, 03:42 AM

flycaster99 is on a distinguished road

Hi, Can anyone advise what is the best time of the year to fly fish for Mako in the SD area? Looks like there's an additional item on my bucket list.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:57 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

SD ???? south dakota ? maybe in august !
I would check with the local B & T's around and see when they go out for them..
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 03-03-2013, 12:33 PM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice

San Diego? July.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:24 PM

djamtime will become famous soon enough

Amazing
Old 06-05-2013, 08:18 PM

gutterpunk will become famous soon enough

Yeah, I can be a buzzkill...

Sharks are essential marine apex predators. We should not be fishing them. Congratulations to the Bahamas for making their entire island nation a shark sanctuary.