The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Saltwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/saltwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   Mako Shark on the fly (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/saltwater-fly-fishing/307832-mako-shark-fly.html)

chased 01-13-2013 06:17 PM

Mako Shark on the fly

Since it's been miserably cold lately, I been browsing fly fishing videos. I came across this really cool video of fly fishing for Mako Shark the other night and thought I would share it here. I hope this isn't against the rules....

Hope you enjoy!
Chase

pkins44 01-13-2013 07:29 PM

Re: Mako Shark on the fly

Great video thanks for sharing.

mcnerney 01-13-2013 07:43 PM

That was great! That was an awesome fight and some amazing jumps that fish made. I'm assuming when he says "slick" that what he means is that he is chumming to get the shark within casting range. It would be interesting to know what size rod and reel setup that you need for that size of fish.

Larry

cptxkirk 01-13-2013 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnerney (Post 515938)
That was great! That was an awesome fight and some amazing jumps that fish made. I'm assuming when he says "slick" that what he means is that he is chumming to get the shark within casting range. It would be interesting to know what size rod and reel setup that you need for that size of fish.

Larry

I have customers that go out and do that....one of which is in her 80's!

Her rod of choice is a 14wt with an ABEL super 14! She specifically asks to only cast to the 100lb and under fish. So when upping it into the bigger Mako's we like to send people with 16wts.

chased 01-13-2013 11:24 PM

How much does a reel and rod in that weight range weigh in terms of pounds or ounces? Seems like your arm would be dead after a day of casting, not to mention fighting a beast of an animal.

woodrivertroutbum 01-13-2013 11:42 PM

Really hoping to get my first fly caught Mako this year. Fingers crossed.

cptxkirk 01-14-2013 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chased (Post 515973)
How much does a reel and rod in that weight range weigh in terms of pounds or ounces? Seems like your arm would be dead after a day of casting, not to mention fighting a beast of an animal.

You don't cast all day. As for the weight it's heavy but how you catch them does not require a ton of casting. You tease them with a lure so to speak and then bait and switch. So you "cast" very little!

woodrivertroutbum 01-14-2013 12:34 AM

Same trick works well for bluefin.

lthrnk03 01-14-2013 01:26 PM

That video was redonk-ulous!! His fly reel was the size of a manhole cover! I can't even imagine what it would be like to have that beast putting a bend in your rod. How does one simultaneously manage fighting a fish like that and having just crapped your pants?? :yikes:

Guest1 01-14-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnerney (Post 515938)
I'm assuming when he says "slick" that what he means is that he is chumming to get the shark within casting range. Larry

The thing with Mako sharks is, they are a more wary species than a lot of sharks. Getting one in range is not as easy as it sounds. One time for my birthday a bunch of my diving buddies bought me a shark dive in S. Cal when I lived there. We had a bunch of Blue Sharks show up in no time at all. We had one, maybe two Makos show up. It was hard to tell. It, or they, would stay way out at the edge of the waters visiblity and never got close. I tried to take pictues of them (or it) but you couldn't tell. To far away and not clear enough. They are one of the more spectacular fighters around though. And fast like a rocket. They have been clocked at better than 50 km/hr, and for being in water, that is smokin fast.