The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 06:17 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold
Default Mako Shark on the fly

Since it's been miserably cold lately, I been browsing fly fishing videos. I came across this really cool video of fly fishing for Mako Shark the other night and thought I would share it here. I hope this isn't against the rules....

Hope you enjoy!
Chase
Old 01-13-2013, 07:29 PM

pkins44 will become famous soon enoughpkins44 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Mako Shark on the fly

Great video thanks for sharing.

http://www.dupageriverflyfishing.com
Old 01-13-2013, 07:43 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

That was great! That was an awesome fight and some amazing jumps that fish made. I'm assuming when he says "slick" that what he means is that he is chumming to get the shark within casting range. It would be interesting to know what size rod and reel setup that you need for that size of fish.

Larry

Old 01-13-2013, 11:19 PM

cptxkirk will become famous soon enoughcptxkirk will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
That was great! That was an awesome fight and some amazing jumps that fish made. I'm assuming when he says "slick" that what he means is that he is chumming to get the shark within casting range. It would be interesting to know what size rod and reel setup that you need for that size of fish.

Larry
I have customers that go out and do that....one of which is in her 80's!

Her rod of choice is a 14wt with an ABEL super 14! She specifically asks to only cast to the 100lb and under fish. So when upping it into the bigger Mako's we like to send people with 16wts.
mcnerney and mrfzx like this.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:24 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

How much does a reel and rod in that weight range weigh in terms of pounds or ounces? Seems like your arm would be dead after a day of casting, not to mention fighting a beast of an animal.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:42 PM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough

Really hoping to get my first fly caught Mako this year. Fingers crossed.
pkins44 likes this.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:10 AM

cptxkirk will become famous soon enoughcptxkirk will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chased View Post
How much does a reel and rod in that weight range weigh in terms of pounds or ounces? Seems like your arm would be dead after a day of casting, not to mention fighting a beast of an animal.
You don't cast all day. As for the weight it's heavy but how you catch them does not require a ton of casting. You tease them with a lure so to speak and then bait and switch. So you "cast" very little!
woodrivertroutbum likes this.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:34 AM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough

Same trick works well for bluefin.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:26 PM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light

That video was redonk-ulous!! His fly reel was the size of a manhole cover! I can't even imagine what it would be like to have that beast putting a bend in your rod. How does one simultaneously manage fighting a fish like that and having just crapped your pants??
woodrivertroutbum likes this.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:47 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
I'm assuming when he says "slick" that what he means is that he is chumming to get the shark within casting range. Larry
The thing with Mako sharks is, they are a more wary species than a lot of sharks. Getting one in range is not as easy as it sounds. One time for my birthday a bunch of my diving buddies bought me a shark dive in S. Cal when I lived there. We had a bunch of Blue Sharks show up in no time at all. We had one, maybe two Makos show up. It was hard to tell. It, or they, would stay way out at the edge of the waters visiblity and never got close. I tried to take pictues of them (or it) but you couldn't tell. To far away and not clear enough. They are one of the more spectacular fighters around though. And fast like a rocket. They have been clocked at better than 50 km/hr, and for being in water, that is smokin fast.