The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 12:28 PM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all
Default Re: Need some Redfish help guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
I'm also reading that Trout will be an option while we're down there. I'm guessing Sea Trout? Similar to our Weak fish up here? 6wt and San Juan Worms sound about right?
I can't tell you anything about Trout, I know they have been "in" when I have been down there many times, but I never had any interest in fishing for them nor have I ever heard of anyone I know really fly fishing for them.

My entire reason for being there when I go is big fish on the fly
Old 01-21-2013, 01:28 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwb View Post
I can't tell you anything about Trout, I know they have been "in" when I have been down there many times, but I never had any interest in fishing for them nor have I ever heard of anyone I know really fly fishing for them.

My entire reason for being there when I go is big fish on the fly
Thanks for the info on the Reds Kory, I may call an you again later on in the year if you don't mind. Now I'm going to have to do a little more research on the Sea Trout situation down there.

Marco
Old 01-21-2013, 01:32 PM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

No worries Marco, just shoot me a PM or whatever if you have any other questions...
Old 01-21-2013, 02:56 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Seatrout anything shrimpy. Small white and brown with a little flash and your in! Sometimes when their schooling poppers on top. Same stuff you catch weaks on will work . Fla guide I know spends a month in that area (little lake) waiting for a reply will let you know.

---------- Post added at 03:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:53 PM ----------

Kwb is dead on with the chartreuse and white Clousers . Every pic I see on this guys fb page is c&w Clousers with pink heads still attached to bruiser Reds!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 01-21-2013, 06:35 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Contact this fella. He lives there and is a very good fly tier.

https://plus.google.com/photos/11602...3579383/albums

If this won't work for you I will try something else.

He also makes a great fly spoon for reds. I believe that he has a sbs on doing the spoon. If you have trouble finding it I think I have it save somewhere.

Sounds like a great trip. Wished I was going. Good luck.
I know Kirk as well. Great guy & very knowledgeable tier! He ties a bendback style fly with a rattle in the belly, called the Rattle Rouser. Clousers are great, but that rattle really helps sometimes when the water clarity is down. Might also be something to consider.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 01-21-2013, 08:38 PM

If you use rattles, try and incorporate them into a fly made with materials which are not very buoyant, they add bulk and buoyancy to the fly, thus making you use larger lead eyes to get a proper sink rate. That creates a larger plop and is more likely to spook the fish if your cast is off target some, you don't need a delicate presentation by any means, but don't want a huge plop either.

That was my experience with them and I found tying my flies sparser than usual was the only way I liked having a rattle in my fly. Not sure if it just boosts confidence or if it actually helps the fish find the fly, but some people swear by them!

Here is a pattern my buddy came up with this Fall, they worked really well and are super easy/cheap to tie...

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:28 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Kory, those are good looking flies! I'm sure that estaz body helps with reducing that plop. I've yet to catch a Redfish on a fly, don't get to chase them too often. They got up into the Chesapeake & tribs this past year, a lot of puppies but I never got the opportunity. Perhaps someday!

I've used rattles in flies or many years for tidal bass, Flounders & Striped Bass and the waters I fish are quite shallow, and often stained. As you stated, if the clarity is 3', it's real good. I've caught Seatrout in similar waters, as well as Black Drum. I feel the rattles help sometimes.

Good info on the buoyancy. Many of the rattle flies I tie are tied with bucktail or other hair. I like fox & coyote tail hair, which is not buoyant. Also use some Polar fiber. Some are tied much more sparse than others, and the weighting is varied, which is not a bad idea anyway. Also, I rarely use glass rattles any more, have come to prefer the big plastic rattles, as they sound louder to me. I stick them in mylar tubing and/or EZ body type materials as a body & always coat them with epoxy. IMO, when I've wrapped soft materials around a rattle it muffles the sound. Epoxy seems to enhance the sound.

I'm not sure what I've added here is any help to Marco, but this is all interesting to me too. I've got a trip planned this year to the SC coast. Perhaps this time I'll find a Redfish!
kwb likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 01-22-2013, 09:59 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

The advice on the Clousers is dead on. Our guide in Cocodrie uses Clousers almost exclusively after September. One word of advice be ready for some dispurted weather.....i.e. wind. We REALLY like the SA Titan Taper or Rio Outbound Short Tropical lines for casting in heavy winds. Both load up the rods really quickly. Good luck, by the way Black Drum can be found then too....they can get pretty big....40 to 50 piounds is not uncommon.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:22 AM

To be honest, never witnessed much wind down there in November and December, January is when the wind starts. If you got a good guide, he will position the boat so the wind can be used to your advantage. So even a 10-15 MPH wind isn't really noticed.

Titan Taper would be a great choice in line, I never liked the running lines on Outbound lines, tangle too easily, but they definitely have a loyal following.

Some days can be downright CALM

But most days just are a little breezy like so:

I actually turned down a guiding job down there very recently, which as a Yankee to be asked to come down and guide there for my buddy Lance's lodge was an honor. Unfortunately, Family comes first and my Father needs my help at the Family business here, not all bad though, I actually am able to fish for fun more by not guiding. Plus, I have a free place to stay anytime I want to go down there anyway

I have been all over this country and there is simply something about the Salt Marsh that is truly special. It is very sad it is being lost to erosion as it is, all for the greater good of human's greed for the almighty dollar...

Black Drum get big, but fight like a wet mattress, after you land one, you likely will not have any desire to cast to another one. Think this one was like 38 pounds or something. Even though they don't fight like a Red Drum, still very cool to catch such big fish though!

If you are lucky, you can get what is called a "C00N Ass Slam" meaning you land a Red Drum, Black Drum and Sheepshead all in the same day.

Sheepshead can be tough to get to take a fly though, they definitely look pretty funky...

Also, don't be surprised if the fish don't fight right away when you set the hook, most of the stuff they eat pokes their mouth so you setting the hook will not really be anything out of the norm for them, however, once they begin to feel the pressure, they will run!

As you can see they have a very tough looking mouth:

All this talk about fishing down there has me jonesing! Sorry for my rambling on and on! Sitting here looking out my office window at a blizzard and sub zero temps...

Last edited by kwb; 01-22-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:07 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Quote:
Ed Mitchell has run away from home here in CT to live in FLA.
Wow, that's quite a switch Rip. I still have one of his suits and a couple of his shirts - but flies now?

Have a great trip Swirl. I don't fish much for reds in the Keys and know nothing about Louisiana, but the ones down here will either take anything you throw or nothing you throw. There is no in-between.
swirlchaser, mrfzx and kwb like this.