The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 09:15 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Need some Redfish help guys.

Hey Guys,

I just booked a Redfish trip in Louisiana for the beginning of Nov. I'm told this is the time for "big fish". Both of my buddies fish spinning tackle so they can't offer me any advise. We will be fishing the Lafitte area, primarily Little Lake. What I need to know from you guys is what wt rods to bring and what fly patterns I should start working.
Thanks guys

Marco
Old 01-21-2013, 09:25 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need some Redfish help guys.

Might consider calling the Anglers Edge fly shop in Houston, very knowledgeable folks for fly fishing the gulf. Tell them where you're fishing and what for and they will sell you one each of their recommendations. This will give you a pattern to reproduce. 713-993-9981

Dave
Old 01-21-2013, 10:25 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

9 weights...

20 pound fluoro leads...

1/0 Clousers and 1/0 Clouser Half n Halfs in

Chart/White

Pink/White

Black

I just buy them from Clouser's online shop, don't even bother tying them myself...

That's all you need...

Very very rarely will you need to use anything but the chart/white half n half, my go to fly down there 90% of the time...

Redfish aren't very picky, all about putting the fly in the right spot and working it properly...

Water is DIRTY there, more about you seeing the fly than anything...
mcnerney and mrfzx like this.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:35 AM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

Contact this fella. He lives there and is a very good fly tier.

https://plus.google.com/photos/11602...3579383/albums

If this won't work for you I will try something else.

He also makes a great fly spoon for reds. I believe that he has a sbs on doing the spoon. If you have trouble finding it I think I have it save somewhere.

Sounds like a great trip. Wished I was going. Good luck.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:40 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Marco: I'd definitely take Kory's advice on fishing for Redfish, but I thought you would get a chuckle at the prices of flies on this page:
Redfish Flies - Flies - Fly Supplies

Awhile back we had a thread that I think was titled "To Tie or Not to Tie", I think those prices make it pretty obvious which direction to go.

Larry
Old 01-21-2013, 10:45 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Ed Mitchell has run away from home here in CT to live in FLA.
... I still read his blog though

He posted this kwan style flats fly recently that I thought looked very cool.

Click the image to open in full size.
swirlchaser and mudbug like this.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:33 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

Keep in mind, Redfish in Florida are nothing like Redfish in Louisiana...

3' of visibility is crystal clear water for Louisiana standards...

You can throw natural looking stuff, but it is harder for you to see and the fish do not care. If they get finicky, the black Clouser Half n Half will do the trick...

Not saying the natural stuff will not work, it just isn't necessary...

Spent a lot of time in the marsh down there, it's a beautiful place!
mrfzx likes this.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:39 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwb View Post
Keep in mind, Redfish in Florida are nothing like Redfish in Louisiana...

3' of visibility is crystal clear water for Louisiana standards...

You can throw natural looking stuff, but it is harder for you to see and the fish do not care...
Thanks Kory, that's why I was asking. I see these spin guys dragging lures behind huge orange floats and it doesn't spook the fish at all. So Clousers is all I need huh? Could it be this easy? I have boxes of Clousers and Half n Halfs already tied. Floating line is all I need? Maybe I'll build another 9wt, I have to feel like there's some sort of prep involved for this trip

---------- Post added at 12:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Marco: I'd definitely take Kory's advice on fishing for Redfish, but I thought you would get a chuckle at the prices of flies on this page:
Redfish Flies - Flies - Fly Supplies

Awhile back we had a thread that I think was titled "To Tie or Not to Tie", I think those prices make it pretty obvious which direction to go.
amazing isn't it Larry? The price of saltwater flies is the reason I started tying in the first place. I won't bother tying a WD40 when I can buy it for $.60 but a $5 Clouser???? Don't think so...
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
Thanks Kory, that's why I was asking. I see these spin guys dragging lures behind huge orange floats and it doesn't spook the fish at all. So Clousers is all I need huh? Could it be this easy? I have boxes of Clousers and Half n Halfs already tied. Floating line is all I need? Maybe I'll build another 9wt, I have to feel like there's some sort of prep involved for this trip

---------- Post added at 12:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 PM ----------

amazing isn't it Larry? The price of saltwater flies is the reason I started tying in the first place. I won't bother tying a WD40 when I can buy it for $.60 but a $5 Clouser???? Don't think so...
If you want to spice it up, some bright Dahlberg Divers will produce at times...

I have spent a lot of time down there messing around with different patterns and the 1/0 Clouser Half n Half in Chart/White if presented right will get eaten by 99% of fish you will throw it at. From 4 pounds to 40 pounds, doesn't matter they eat that fly well...

I would suggest a Redfish taper line "Cortland, Rio and SA are all fine really", long casts down there are 30' so you need a line that loads the rod well without much line out. A lot of your casts will be 15' - 20' little pot shots due to the fact you don't see the fish until they are close more often than not...

Redfish in Louisiana are all about being able to cast very quickly and pretty accurately in close. Especially when you are chasing the big Bull Reds cuz they sit in the slightly deeper water and are much more difficult to spot so you tend to not see them until they are very close to you. Did I mention the water is dirty??? LOL

Drop it in front of their face about a foot or two in front of them in say a cone shaped zone with the tip of the cone being at their snout, let the fly drop almost to the bottom and then pump it slowly away from them, they will eat. Try not to drop it directly to the side of their eyes or close behind their eyes or even along their sides, it spooks them, if you cast behind them try and be at least at their tail and they will often spin around and eat it...
Old 01-21-2013, 11:57 AM

I'm also reading that Trout will be an option while we're down there. I'm guessing Sea Trout? Similar to our Weak fish up here? 6wt and San Juan Worms sound about right?