The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By lightline
  • 1 Post By wjc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 01:00 PM

lightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the rough
Default Campeche Tarpon and Varivas hooks!

I just returned from 7 days of baby tarpon fishing in Mexico. No, it wasn't a dream trip or even great fishing. In fact, it was the toughest I've had in 4 trips to Campeche, but the new (for me) Varivas hooks I used saved the trip! I had previously used Owner Aki's, which I still believe are very good hooks for baby tarpon. But with the Varivas, I only jumped off about 4-5 fish in 7 days. I removed the fly from a couple dozen. That kind of ratio just has never happened for me before. Hell, I'm usually thrilled if I get half of 'em to hand. Some days I remember 1 in 3, 1 in 4, when I'm doing it right.

On this trip, I was sticking the fish, and they were jumping all over the place and staying hooked for the most part. I didn't miss too many hits either, probably only about one in 6 or so. There just weren't too many misses. I didn't change anything I've been doing for years except that I took a bunch of flies tied on the Varivas 2600 V. Same fly patterns I've always used. Same size of hook gap. (1/0 and 2/0 Varivas, 2/0 and 3/0 Owner)

For another test I guess, I'll be going back to Campeche the last week of March, and then I'll see if my hook-up rate and land ratio remain so crazy-high.

As said, fishing was slow compared to other trips there, but I was met with some VERY low winter morning tides (which I knew going in), and a cold front that had passed 3 days before I arrived, which dropped temperatures 15 degrees into the shivering 60's and 70's. Not a lot of action, but I believe the hooks allowed me to keep the rod bent and the silver flying much more than usual, for me anyway.

*I don't have any interest in the sales or marketing of Varivas hooks. They're Japanese imports. But I sure sold on 'em for a while now!
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:21 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: Campeche Tarpon and Varivas hooks!

I don't like Owner Aki's for tarpon either. Although they are sharp and have a "cutting" point, it is wide like a shovel, and I think it might enlarge the hole it makes during the fight more than hooks with a rounder wire cross section. That is a much bigger problem in long fights with fish that are constantly switching direction than with bottom dwellers say.

I tried Gama Octopus last tarpon season, with good landing/hookup ratios on big tarpon, especially considering that most of the fish were caught by first time or first fish tarpon fishermen. The Octopus have thin roundish wire, upturned eyes and are offset hooks. The offset, I think, makes a big difference - but it could just have been a lucky string as you also allude to. Although the point does angle in towards the shank a bit, it is not so radical that I think it would not work with a straight eye - in fact, it is less an angle than the Varivas.

If you want a straight eye, the upturned eye can be straightened with a propane torch, a pair of vice grips behind the eye and a pair of pliers. I use a machinist vice, but not many people have access to one. Though the vice grips will act like a heat sink to help protect the temper beyond the eye, I dunk the hook in oil immediately after straightening to protect the temper in the rest of the hook. The entire hook is hardened, so the eye will simply snap off if you don't heat the eye before straightening.

I will hopefully get a chance to do more intensive empirical research this coming spring. I'll let you know the results if you do the same after your next tarpon trip with the Varivas.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:31 PM

lightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the rough

I used to actually like the AKI hook, but these were a new experience. I'll definitely post an update in early April. Unfortunately, I won't be doing any field testing until then.

I'd love to hear from anyone else out there who has used the Varivas, good or bad.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:56 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

The Varivas brand had a very good following with North East & Mid Atlantic anglers for awhile. Some preferred them, particularly for species such as Albies.

Don't recall what happened, but they then became almost impossible to find. I still have a few around here, and they're excellent hooks.

I like Owner hooks, just don't use the AKI's as I don't tie for Tarpon, but when I was tying commercially, I had clients who preferred them over other hooks I used.

Used to also tie a lot on Eagle Claw L67's & 254's for Tarpon, as well as Mustad 7766's. They all needed sharpening, but since a lot of my tying was for guides, I guess they did that anyway.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 03-13-2013, 06:13 AM

bobbrown is on a distinguished road

Love the profile but was astounded on how thick the wire was. Wire gauge cause you any problems?
Old 03-13-2013, 06:31 AM

Bob: No problems with wire thickness. I believe the sharpness and angle compensate for any thickness because these things go in. And on the baby fish in Mexico, I'm strip-setting with a fast 7wt and a softer 8wt, and it still goes in easily. I am using at least 20lb. leaders though, with a 30 or 40 shock, so I can stick it to 'em pretty good with that!

I'm a little over a week away from 7 more days of it down there, so I'll get to see if the results match the last trip, or if I was just lucky. I'm not fishing with any flies on any other hook though! I know my results with those. About par, on a good day.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:42 PM

bobbrown is on a distinguished road

You use the carbon or the stainless....any big performance difference.
The Mustad tarpon has a very simlar profile and really sticks them good....smaller wire diameter.