The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 11:29 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold
Default Louisiana Redfish

I am in conversation with Cpt. Greg Arnold of Louisiana for a redfishing trip. His reputation preceeds him as he has guided many anglers to a plethore of record fish (state and world). I was wondering if anybody has any personal knowledge of the man. If you feel uncomfortable posting it publicly, then please, PM me.

He has said we will fish the Hopedale area. I have no knowledge of this area as my experience has been limited to Venice and Cocodrie (Dulac) Louisiana

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:17 PM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all
Default Re: Louisiana Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfzx View Post
I am in conversation with Cpt. Greg Arnold of Louisiana for a redfishing trip. His reputation preceeds him as he has guided many anglers to a plethore of record fish (state and world). I was wondering if anybody has any personal knowledge of the man. If you feel uncomfortable posting it publicly, then please, PM me.

He has said we will fish the Hopedale area. I have no knowledge of this area as my experience has been limited to Venice and Cocodrie (Dulac) Louisiana
Have you considered Gary Taylor?

All those guides down there have State/World record Reds in their books for the most part, I wouldn't let that direct you to choosing a guide.

Gregg has been around down there for a long time, well known, some like him, some don't, you will have that with all guides...

My honest advice, if you get a good feeling about him by talking to him, use him, a lot about getting a good experience with a guide is if you mesh well with him on a personal level so to speak....
Old 02-19-2013, 12:48 PM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Yes, we did consider Gary. Lefty has said some wonderful things about Cpt Taylor in past conversations I've had with him. Unfortunately, Gary was not available for the dates I am locked into.

This trip is going to be a bit of a whorl-wind. A week in Cocodrie, then across to Venice for a few days, then back to the Big Easy for a few more days. I am my father-in-laws traveling companion, and he calls the shots as far as dates and times, I help pick guides and species.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Old 02-19-2013, 01:44 PM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

Well other than the guys at Uptown Angler, I really don't know of any other options for you that time of year than Gregg...

I have always heard Gregg was one heck of a nice guy, never met him personally.

Hope you have a safe and enjoyable journey!
mcnerney likes this.

Last edited by kwb; 02-19-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:46 PM

Bonefishdick is on a distinguished road

I have not fished with Capt Arnold. but I did meet him when I was in N.O last October and he was a very nice man to talk with. I chartered with Capt. Barrett.

Cpt. Brown who introduced me to Cpt. Arnold. I will say this much, I would not hesitate to go with Capt. Brown again and if I could not book with him my next call would be to Capt, Arnold.

I was staying with N.O. and Capt Brown picked me up at my hotel at 7am and then drove at least an hour to get to the diner for breakfast which is were I met Capt. Arnold. After breakfast we drove at least another half hour to the boat launch and fished all day and then he drove me back to the hotel. That kind of door to door service is why I would book with Cat. Brown again.

Good luck on your decision
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:18 PM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

I fished with Rich Waldner, stayed at the Woodland Pantation and he picked us up, put in behind Port Sulphur High. Had an awesome day, he is a really fun dude and really knows his stuff.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:48 AM

Thanks Guys! I did book with Cpt. Greg Arnold, and am looking forward to a great trip!

Old 03-16-2013, 08:52 PM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

We (wife, 2 sons) fished Monday and Tuesday (11th, 12th) with Greg Dini and Miles LaRose out of the Rosedale area. I think your guide works with Greg and Miles, if he is who I think he is his fisherman had great success, plus he has a nice boat.

Monday was brutal winds, 25+ so we opted for spinning tackle, Thomas my oldest caught 2 on plastics to 13# with Greg.

Tuesday was a completely different day. Mom was sick so I fished with Greg alone, Thomas and Sam fishes with Miles.

I saw easily 100+ reds, couple in the 20# range. Caught 3 at 25-28" in the 5-8# range. Greg had me using a bushy heavy rabbit tail Clouser, red/yellow tail with purple head. Casting was all very very close (forget the 80-100' stuff). Work on your quick short extremely accurate casts with lots of wind. You'll need to hit 12" circles quick with no false casting. I can't over emphasize show accurate with bushy flies you have to be. Practice casting off you back shoulder too as they of then slip up from all sides.

My sons did much better with 4-5 reds each and Thomas caught a 7+# Sheepshead. Sam's first keeper sized game fish on a fly was a 8#ish red.

Greg Dini is a great guide but is also a tough taskmaster. Be ready for quick critique but completely useful feedback.The boys loved fishing with Miles.

We used 8wts but 9 or 10 wt is not out of place in the wind with big flies. Secondly a really big red can be tough is you are really back in the weeds. If you don't have proper tackle all the guides have great stuff to use.

They picked us up each morning at our hotel in New Orleans. They have great places for a quick breakfast and pick up sandwiches for the boat.

We're going back when I save some more pennies.

Will post picks later,

Pete A.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:19 AM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

Sounds like a fine trip and you wrote a great trip report.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:07 AM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

Here's pics from fishing with Miles LaRose & Greg Dini.

Sam with his first keeper size game fish on a fly:
Click the image to open in full size.

Thomas with a 7#+ Sheepshead:

Here's me bundled up (cold wind all day):

Both boys with a double:

All fish caught were CPR (catch photo release).

We had blast, if you need good guides do quick "google" search for Greg Dini and/or Miles LaRose. Both are great guys who will put you on the fish.

Pete A.
mcnerney and riverbilly like this.