The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 11:47 AM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice
Default Re: Saltwater reel

Your question would lead me to believe that you are interested in useing your current freshwater tackle in the light salt usage. I say generally yes. The exceptions are I doubt that drags are up to the long runs of bones or the stress that would be put on them by a bull red. To be safe you probably need well over 100yds of backing for bones though I have never been fortune enough to fish for them. IMHO for most intercoastal salt a cast reel will handle most of what you will ever throw at it. I believe the drag is far more important. ....No exposed rim reel will do well with rough handling and dropping. A machined reel may take a little more than a cast reel but I doubt that anybody that spends hundreds of dollars on a reel will abuse them either. I don't know if a draw-bar cork drag is available in a cast frame but I would consider purchasing a couple.

Last edited by ditz; 02-28-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:36 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

:: Albright Fly Fish | Fly Rods | Fly Reels | Spin and Casting Rods | Reels | Rods

Albright's GPX on sale for $99 is machined and anodized and should hold up well under moderate saltwater duty.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:53 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
:: Albright Fly Fish | Fly Rods | Fly Reels | Spin and Casting Rods | Reels | Rods

Albright's GPX on sale for $99 is machined and anodized and should hold up well under moderate saltwater duty.

i've heard some good reviews of that reel, and have a couple albright rods that i really like.
the problem with albright is there warranty policy- anything on sale is no longer covered....period.

i would look at the allen alpha II on sale right now for 99 bucks as well
this reel got stellar reviews and if anything happens to it they'll go out of their way to fix it.

Alpha II Reel - Closeout! - Allen Fly Fishing Store

casey

ARFE
Old 02-28-2013, 03:33 PM

osok will become famous soon enoughosok will become famous soon enough

I use the Lamson Konic 3.5 chasing Reds. Never a problem and Lamson claims it has the same drag as it's most expensive reels. I just rinse it and it is ready for the next trip.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:02 PM

thechroniclesofmasi is on a distinguished road

I am a function over form kind of guy. Saltwater fishing to me is like fighting a war. Meaning it can be brutal. I see 10' sharks and 6' wide rays on a regular basis in less that 4' of water. I live to saltwater fish. Now that's out of the way. Suggestion time.

Okuma SLV is an OK reel but I would not put it in between me and a 40" trophy snook. Crank the drag down all the way and give it a spin. It spins fairly easy.
I bought two of the SLV's originally however returned them once I felt how they were made.

The best affordable saltwater reel out there (that I have experience with) right now is the Clark VIS. Go on ebay and enter Clark VIS. You will be happy you did.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:24 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
i would look at the allen alpha II on sale right now for 99 bucks as well
this reel got stellar reviews and if anything happens to it they'll go out of their way to fix it.

Alpha II Reel - Closeout! - Allen Fly Fishing Store
Thats what I used in Florida and no issues whatso ever with it. I made sure though just for general care of the gear that once I was done for the day I rinsed it all off and let it soak in water for little bit. It was in the salt pretty much everyday for 5 days and when I got home I let it takje a good long freshwater bath and 3 months later you wouldnt be able to tell it was ever near the ocean.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 03-06-2013, 10:36 AM

snook will become famous soon enough

My advice: look at the Galvan T-6 and T-8. Galvan has a big west coast following but does little marketing so (from what I'm told) has not made much of a splash elsewhere. After using reels from Okuma, Orvis, Teton, Ross, Lamson, etc. I have shuttled all of my mid-sized stuff for Galvans (note: my big tarpon reel is still a venerable Billy Pate). Attractive, great fit and finish, wonderfully strong sealed drag systems and they're a family owned outfit that stands behind their gear. A smidge heavier than some models but not enough to matter. If you're on a budget you can find them used on Flea Bay or on Craigslist from time to time.

I split my time between light spin tackle and fly so I'm not as seasoned as some committed long-rodders, but in my experience the Galvans will perform on par with "elite" reels sporting out-to-lunch price tags. Tip: if you choose the T-6, call Galvan and order the larger (more comfortable) T-8 handle. Oh, and if you chase bones consider Micron or braid backing to stretch the spool's capacity a bit. Enjoy.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:44 AM

reel aggressive is on a distinguished road

I would have to agree about the Galvan.
I have be though a plethora of reels in the last 3 years and as a guide I am getting ready to go all Galvan. Quality is awesome, price is better.
I have had a T-8 for 6 months now and I can not say one bad thing about it.

If its too rich for you I would look at a tfo bvk series reel.

These are my current reels.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:13 AM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by reel aggressive View Post
I would have to agree about the Galvan.
I have be though a plethora of reels in the last 3 years and as a guide I am getting ready to go all Galvan. Quality is awesome, price is better.
I have had a T-8 for 6 months now and I can not say one bad thing about it.

If its too rich for you I would look at a tfo bvk series reel.

These are my current reels.
I see that you have a Nautilus. Is it the FWX 7/8? What would be the minimum amount of backing for chasing the inshore species?

Sorry, I didn't mean to steal this thread.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:52 AM

rubberguy is a jewel in the roughrubberguy is a jewel in the roughrubberguy is a jewel in the rough

Last edited by rubberguy; 03-11-2013 at 10:55 AM. Reason: delete