The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 11:15 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: Saltwater reel

I typically like a simple reel like the Medalist and OC's but when I lived on the coast I had a Bauer MZ5 for 10wt and an older Lamson for 8wt. The Bauer is my first choice for briney gear.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:41 PM

reel aggressive is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfish View Post
I see that you have a Nautilus. Is it the FWX 7/8? What would be the minimum amount of backing for chasing the inshore species?

Sorry, I didn't mean to steal this thread.
I did have a Nautilus. I sold it and picked up a Hatch.
In my opinion Nautilus is a over priced over hyped reel.

I would keep no less than 200yards for backing.
When wading the flats you never know what you might get into.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:17 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

For the salt go with the best reel you can afford. A list of the best would include the Galvans mentioned above, plus the Nautilus but would include the Ross, Lamson and a few others on the sealed drag side. Many, including the record books and myself, favor the cork, drawbar drag such as the Bauers, Tibors, Abels, the Old Florida (no longer made) and a few others. I favor the Bauers although I'd not hesitate to buy any Old Florida Reel that comes my way and certainly not turn down a Tibor or an Abel. (Ebay) Right now I have a couple Bauers, an Abel, and an Old Florida as well as an Albright I won in an auction. All will work well is my bet but again I prefer the cork draw bar drag.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/

Last edited by chuck s; 04-10-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:55 AM

flybum101 is on a distinguished road

still taking notes here lol
Old 04-05-2013, 08:35 AM

flybum101 is on a distinguished road

hey how do you like the bauers reels seen you had some
Old 04-10-2013, 01:50 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

My philosophy on SW reels is that I don't want to immediately have to rinse them after fishing.

More important, I don't want to have to submerge them in detergent filled hot water and spend 1/2 an hour getting salt out of the unsealed but completely inaccessible drag- and washing out all lubrication in the process. I have 2 reels like this, a Ross BG 5 and a Colton CG11. Both were early model reels and the problems have probably been eliminated by now on newer models.

So the drags, I think, should be either easily accessible, or "Completely Waterproof"/ "Hermetically Sealed".

If they are easily accessible, they should have solid (un-ported) spools on the frame side, and an un-ported frame. This will keep most all the salt water out of the cavity containing the drag, spindle and spindle bearings, short of a prolonged dunking. The reels I've had trouble with noted above both had ported frames and ported spools on both cheeks. To get their drags apart is nearly impossible and fraught with pitfalls and ball bearing falls (then rolls).

I don't know which reels have truly good "Completely Waterproof" drags beyond Makos and the Nautilus's CCF and NV. Those are top dollar reels and very rarely come up used - especially the Makos and Nautilus NV's.

There are a lot of good draw bar reels to chose from as Chuck noted in his post. As with all reels, the drag should be backed off with no pressure on the disc/discs when not actually fishing with them or doing maintenence on them.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 04-10-2013, 02:00 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Thank you all for the advice! I hope this doesn't boil anyone's blood, but I believe I've decided on just getting a battenkill. I am unlikely to "regularly" fish in SW and am not sure that the upper priced stuff is really necessary for my mostly FW fishing. It looks like a good reel for FW, and I've read enough about people doing occasional (and even regular) use in SW for "lighter" stuff (i.e. not huge Tarpon) without problems.

I've also heard that the battenkill, being Orvis, is pretty much a "send it back and they'll pretty much fix it no questions asked" type of thing.

If I get more into SW fishing I'll just invest in a higher-end reel that will last a lifetime.

With any of the reels, I'll take your advice about cleaning, rinsing and peeling the line off after each trip. That seems like a good idea.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:26 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybum101 View Post
hey how do you like the bauers reels seen you had some
They are top notch and service from the company is great also. They are light without being flimsy and havea a substantial and smooth drag.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 05-29-2013, 03:14 PM

jpower6210 is on a distinguished road

Hi- I'll add to the votes for Allen stuff- I fish salt most of the time, and have a couple Allen reels that have stood up quite well for the money. And my stuff does not get the absolute best care that it could.... That Battenkill reel is nice, but I think for a "few pennies" more you might be happier with a different choice.

JP
Old 05-29-2013, 10:22 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

I'm a big fan of buying quality and buying it once. Spend the money on something that will handle the job consistently without fail. I have a couple of Abels I use in the salt, one of which is my go-to surf fishing reel.

It has been used consistently year-round for five years in salt and sand and sometimes punishing surf conditions. I don't baby it, but I don't go out of my way to abuse it either.

I dunk it in a small bucket of water when I get home, take it apart, rinse the parts (5simple parts including spool and frame) and dry them as I put them together. Every fourth or fifth trip, I lube it and put some neet's foot oil on the cork drag.

It still looks as good as the day I bought it. Long after I'm gone, it will still work for my kids, and for their kids. I have other reels from other brands that are nice as well. But the Abels are built for the salt and built to last.

There have been a couple of times I returned home from the salt and got sidetracked without cleaning a reel for a few days. Still no sign of corrosion at all. They are worth every penny.