The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2013, 02:40 AM

Gerard will become famous soon enoughGerard will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Saltwater reel

Battenkill Big Game LA was the first SW reel I had for an 8 weight rig and it did me proud. It was a first trip (Mexico) and I didn't want to spend a fortune in case I didn't like it...well that was stupid! Of course I loved it.

I recommend Orvis and their back up I understand is second to none (I've never had to use it!).

I would suggest a Hydros the replacement, better sealed drag. I have a Mirage VI which is impressive along with Sage 8080 also great and replaced the Battenkill with an Abel Super 7. Alll great reels and I didn't spend a fortune on them..there are deals out there!
Old 05-30-2013, 09:54 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

It seems that I used a Pfleuger 1498 and Martin 77 forever for my SW fishing. When I felt the need to go heavier for larger more powerful speedsters I got my first Anti Reverse reel a Taurus. They all served me well and I still bring them out when I need that old feeling.
I've tried many of the reels posted on this thread some I liked some were ok but for me the Tibor Riptide is my go to reel and for pelagics and crazy big stuff where AR is so nice to have you can't beat the Fin Nor Wedding Cake! I think with all the great manufacturers out there today( everyone's a machinist) it's pretty easy to find something to fit your needs.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 05-30-2013, 12:37 PM

jmhall87 is on a distinguished road

I use an orvis access on my 8wt
Old 05-31-2013, 06:04 AM

qec is on a distinguished road

Don't use the Okuma SLV in saltwater. I have a couple that I like very much but despite careful cleaning after each use the finish started blistering. I now only use them for salmon fishing. Any good anodized reel will work. I have many different reels and all (for the SLV) work fine in saltwater. Look on a big auction site for any of the following:

STH (anodized, not the crinkle coated ones)
Reddington Breakwater
Tioga
Lamson Guru, Velocity, Radius
Orvis Hydros
Fin Nor FR/CR (some were labeled for Cabelas)

THere are tons of other choices.

Quinn