The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 05:40 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default Saltwater reel

Hi - what is generally used for fly reels in SW fishing? All my stuff is FW at present, but I'd like to get into SW fishing this season.

I assume rods matter very little, just need a good rinsing in FW after use?

Reels though.....do people generally use SW specific reels, or just rinse out a FW reel? I have no idea. If so, any particular recommendation for a fairly reasonable SW reel for an 8 weight?

Thanks!

OH - and I have no intention of fishing for tuna or something offshore on a boat. This would be flats and "surf" fishing I guess you'd call it. Blues, bonefish, redfish, sea trout, etc.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:18 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Saltwater reel

It helps a great deal if your reel is anodized, but I used a regular Pflueger Medalist in the salt water for many years and still use one occasionally
You just have to be diligent about keeping it clean and lubed.
I learned that the hard way of course, but it taught me well about taking care of my gear.

Sierra Trading Post has the SA System II 7/8 on sale. I have 3 of those reels and you wouldn't be disappointed.

A pair of my Medalists with custom drags

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.
mcnerney and wt bash like this.

Last edited by Rip Tide; 02-25-2013 at 07:10 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:05 AM

Gerard will become famous soon enoughGerard will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
It helps a great deal if your reel is anodized, but I used a regular Pflueger Medalist in the salt water for many years and still use one occasionally
You just have to be diligent about keeping it clean and lubed.
I learned that the hard way of course, but it taught me well about taking care of my gear.

A pair of my Medalists with custom drags

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.
WOW! Bet that kept your finger nails short and tips polished!!!!
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:35 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Many manufacturers label their reels for saltwater or not. As Rip said it is primarily a function of the finish. Some finishes will corrode very quickly when exposed to a salt environment. As far as drags, sealed is good, but not necessary as has been proven by decades of drag-bar style cork drags over the past decades.

No mater what reel you get, do not assume that a saltwater approved reel is maintenance free. Rinse after every use, and I have a personal policy of removing the line and backing for a good rinse after every 7 consecutive days of use, or 2 weeks, which ever comes first. A good line spooling-despooling set-up is indespensible IMO.
mcnerney likes this.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:41 AM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice

RipTide, you beat me to it. I have 3 Medalists that I have used in the salt and one of the Old SA reels that was made by Hardy. I prefer the Medalists and they will take the salt much better than the old "Hardy" too. I have not modified the 'drag' but one of these days I may regret it. 2 of the Medalists are the newer 1500 series models that have the exposed rim so the other drag modification is not really needed.

To answer the original posted question, I believe that many freshwater reels will work for intercoastal salt with proper maintaince. Salty models just need less care and some have better drags.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:17 AM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

I carry a large spray bottle filled with a of 3:1 mixture of water & windshield washer fluid on every salt trip (regardless of tackle choice, fly or conventional).

After fishing we always remove the reels from the rods. Each guide & reel seat get a liberal spraying to remove any salt residue (seems so many worry about their reels and forget the rod).

The spools are removed so these and the inside frame of reel can be sprayed down. At home we strip all the fly line and run through clean water. Same for the rod & reel. Let all of this dry throughly.

All reels and reel seats are rubbed down with a old tee shirt soaked in CorrosionX. Use a old tooth brush with a bit of the CorrosionX to get in every crevice and around real seat. Bit of oil to the handle. EXTRA focus on your anti-reverse bearing, as NONE of these are Stainless Steel and are the first part to give you grief.

If you use extra effort on your gear suprisingly low end reels will work fine. During this time you can save for the the big $$ reels when you actually will fish for some of the real barn burners (tarpon & large pelagic fish).

Pete A.
mcnerney and dakotakid like this.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:52 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

What reel do you currently have on your #8? As above, any reel kept clean and lubed will work in light saltwater applications. However, a dedicated saltwater reel is not an up-sized trout reel as there is a fundamental difference in the way the drag is used. Trout reels are intended to protect light tippets and thus are focused on fine tunability and low inertial start-up of their drag whereas a saltwater reel utilizes a larger surface area drag design to put the screws to much stronger, faster, hard fighting fish. Sure the reel should be hard anodized but most reels are today.
mrfzx likes this.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:06 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Amazon.com: Okuma SLV Diecast Aluminum Fly Reel, 150/30, Light Silver: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Okuma SLV Diecast Aluminum Fly Reel, 150/30, Light Silver: Sports & Outdoors

This one -- can't tell if it is anodized or not..?

Thanks,
Old 02-27-2013, 10:45 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I know nothing about this brand other than the add says it is a casting rather than machined from bar stock construction. What is your budget for this 8-weight reel and what rod are you mounting it on?
Old 02-27-2013, 11:34 AM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Sierra Trading Post has the SA System II 7/8 on sale. I have 3 of those reels and you wouldn't be disappointed
No you would not be disappointed with this reel and at a great price, I've got oly 2 of them.

As for the Okuma, they don't anodize cast reels, they apply some type of coating.