The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 03:55 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 9' 8-weight versus 11' 8-weight (switch)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by okuma View Post
Just my thougts here guys, wouldn't the 11 footer give more leverage on bigger fish?
We just had a long thread that pretty well covered that question even though it could have been answered in two letters. N and O. You are on the wrong end of the lever. The fish gets more leverage. If you really want to beat a fish fast, just handline it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditz View Post
Many years ago there was an article in one of the monthy outdoor sports rags about a fella that fished below a couple of TVA dams for huge catfish. He fished out of a boat and used like 5# sinkers and large hunks of 'aged' meat for bait. His rod of choice was a large casting type reel attached to a rod that was about a foot long with only a tiptop attached. He basicly did just reel in his catch with only the reel. The rod was only a convienent means of holding the reel.
The IGFA prohibits the use of such short rods because it gives the angler to much of an advantage. Not sporting for the fish.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:26 AM

bobbrown is on a distinguished road

I not see how leverage is important any how.I fish for big tarpon 2 months a year and can tell you the only way to land big fish quickly is ...basically.....pointing the rod at the fish and pumping back only about 15 deg....fight with the butt of the rod with as little tip bend as possible.
Now...this doesn't old true for fish the fight at a deeper water level...then...short rod.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:23 AM

wishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enoughwishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrown View Post
I not see how leverage is important any how.I fish for big tarpon 2 months a year and can tell you the only way to land big fish quickly is ...basically.....pointing the rod at the fish and pumping back only about 15 deg....fight with the butt of the rod with as little tip bend as possible.
Now...this doesn't old true for fish the fight at a deeper water level...then...short rod.
Isn't what you are describing in essence creating a shorter lever to fight the fish with by elimiating the tip from the equation and fighting from the butt?..... I'm no physics expert but Mechanically thats how I see it.

Last edited by wishiniwerfishin; 03-27-2013 at 08:16 AM.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:34 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrown View Post
Axel27 is right on..my 8 weight switch throws a 10 weight rio outbound short perfectly. A switch rod is perfect in a couple conditions and not so good in some...IMHO. Great in the surf or anyplace where there is moving water and the casts are fairly repetitious. Not so good for sight fishing, varying distances, and off boats. They are called switch rods cause you are supposedly able to use them either 1 handed or 2 handed. The higher weights..like my 8 weight...are extremely difficult to consistently fish with one hand. Just to heavy.
Someone mentioned being able to cast a one handed 9' 8 weight longer than a 11 foot switch cast 2 handed....beg to differ...in the correct situation I don't see this happening. A two handed cast is far easier on the body than a one hand cast.
I have to agree with Bob on this one. I went from a 9' 10wt to a 9wt switch for casting the surf. I now see that the switch was a waste of money for me, casting single handed with a 11'6" "switch" rod is not realistic. If I'm forced to use two hands why bother with a switch? I now use a 13' rod for overhead casting the surf and a 9' rod on boats and flats for accuracy.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:14 AM

ditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
The IGFA prohibits the use of such short rods because it gives the angler to much of an advantage. Not sporting for the fish
You bet. This guy was a good ole' boy meat fisherman. I saw one pic where one of his 100# plus cats was longer than his truck bed. It was an old truck with a 6' bed.He didn't play them. He winched them with a big ole salty reel and heavy line.