The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 09:56 AM

taylor16 will become famous soon enough
Default Snook in the flats... Rod/reel recs?

Travelling to Fort Pierce in a few weeks to visit some family. I've arranged to go out a course of times with a guide that week and plan on returning at least once or twice a year from now on so I don't mind spending some $ on quality gear.

What would be the suggested set-up for snook/trout in Southern Florida? With that being said, I am a staunch Winston supporter for all my trout rods. How does the BIII-SX stack up to Loomis and/Sage?

What about reels? I have a Galvan Torque for my 4/5wt trout set-up that I absolutely love.

Thanks for your help!
Old 03-03-2013, 10:15 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Snook in the flats... Rod/reel recs?

Taylor: Take a look at this thread: Sanibel Island, Ding Darling

Larry
Old 03-03-2013, 03:10 PM

aggieoutlaw will become famous soon enough

I caught a fair number of snook, drum, trout, etc. around Sanibel using a $40 8wt Cabela's Cahill combo with an upgraded saltwater line. I just couldn't justify spending more for a rod/reel I use one week a year. Not exactly what you are looking for though but it worked just fine.

Now of course, I'm already planning an upgrade. My guide used a 330gr Sage Bass II and Xi3. Interested in what others suggest...
Old 03-03-2013, 05:15 PM

thechroniclesofmasi is on a distinguished road

Snook fishing is very situational, so a little more info for choosing a rod would be needed.
How will you be fishing for them, shore/wade, boat, docks etc.

The reel should be solid with a very robust drag. You won't need more than about 60 yards of backing. Snook have major power but can usual/y be bested reasonably quick.

Remember also that though these fish are not tarpon, your final leader tippet could be as heavy as 30lb flurocarbon.

These tips are if you are specificly targeting snook.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:54 AM

snook will become famous soon enough

Anything from a 7-9 wt with a reel that roughly matches the rod rating is fine. I've caught 30+ inchers on a 4 weight in open water, but bigger snook have incredible power in short bursts and are masters at using cover to their advantage, so something with a bit of sack is advisable near structure. A guide will most likely have you pitching flies along mangroves and oyster bars, especially at this time of year since the fish will either be holed up in backwater haunts or in the back bays beginning to transition outside—depending on cold fronts. The old stand-by is an 8 wt rod/reel combo, and you can't go wrong with it. I favor 7 wts for the Florida backcountry. Like you, I am a fan of Galvan reels (T-6 and T-8), either of which will do the trick down here. That said, a more affordable option like an older Teton Tioga or an Orvis Battenkill Mid Arbor IV will suffice. As for a rod, I do not see the sense in spending big dollars on rods since so many "entry level" rods nowadays perform on par with the big-ticket stuff. I use an old Heliply 12 for big tarpon, but otherwise I rely on a very budget-friendly—and very capable—Echo Ion 7 wt. There are scores of rods from other companies—Albright, Redington, Colton, etc—that will offer similar performance. (My other rod is a TFO TICRx). The best thing about this sort of 7- or 8-weight outfit is that it can be used for many other pursuits, from steelhead up north to bonefish in the tropics.

Have a ball, and know that redfish, juvy tarpon, speckled trout, jack, etc. are likely to join the party.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:47 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Talk to your guide. They will know where they will be fishing, and under what conditions, as well as the expected size of the quarry. If you chose a quality guide, they will know.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:15 AM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

I just bought a Colton outfit. I have heard nothing but good about the Torrent reel. I also bought one of thier new model rods and I put it out there about 80' and I am not a good caster. Give them a call before you buy.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:39 AM

reel aggressive is on a distinguished road

8wt rod will handle most everything down here on the flats.
Clutch, Sage, Scott or whatever rod works best for you.
I prefer rio redfish line.
Reel is totally up to you. Unless your targeting tarpon you will probably not have a fish take you more than 10 years into backing if at all.