The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 04:24 PM

corb90 is on a distinguished road
Default upcoming trip to the salt

Hello All,
In a couple of months I am taking a trip with a bunch of my buddies to Captiva Florida. We go every year and as most know, it's a pretty good fishing destination. I have been fly fishing for about a year and am planning on taking my rod and reel down with me. Ive got a 5 wt echo carbon and a lamson konic. I know most will say its too light but considering I am a college student paying out of pocket for school, a heavier rod and reel arent in the cards right now. I am also planning on going after jacks and ladyfish, not snook or anything, and have heard of people doing this on a 3wt. Can anyone give me some pointers as to where is a good place to fish for these types of fish as well as what flies work well, Ive been tying some size 6 clouser minnows for upcoming smallmouth season and the guy at the fly shop in florida last year recommended the same pattern for down there. Also, I plan on buying some blue halo or bass pro white river line so I dont mess up my rio gold. Should I go sink tip, or floating and should I get some 6wt reel to help throw larger flies in the wind? Any advice will help!
Old 03-15-2013, 10:27 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: upcoming trip to the salt

You can fish the beach in Captiva for ladyfish and jacks . For more variety and a shot at bigger fish try the bridge. Flys Clousers , shrimp patterns , streamers of all sizes crab flys all have their merits. A bag of chum at the bridge goes a long way to kick start the action . The docks at the marina are also productive. Try the beach anytime but especially sunrise and dusk.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-16-2013, 01:10 AM

corb90 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the response! Blind pass always looks like an awesome spot to me, if thats the bridge youre talking about. Last year my buddies and I went to fish there but thanks to hurricane Debbie, fishing was awful. If youve ever fished blind pass, what side of the bridge do you recommend? Canal side or gulf side? Also, how far out are the fish usually?
Old 03-16-2013, 02:43 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Canal on the outgoing Gulf on the incoming.Depth not a factor as long as your near structure(the bridge abutment) at the right tide !
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-16-2013, 10:45 AM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice

I spent a week on the beach in Navarre. I went out before daybreak to fish the beach and on 2 consecutive mornings I took my 5wt. I caught no fish so I would switch to my 9wt and imediatley started catching lady fish.....The following year I spent 2 months in New Smyrna Beach and I again gave the 5wt a thorough try for trout and just could not hook up but as soon as I would switch to my 7wt I would start catching fish. On both occassions I used the same flies. I don't understand why but that was my experiance. The fish size was perfect for the 5wt but I never got a hit at either location. Makes no sense to me.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:32 AM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

[QUOTE=corb90;537179]Hello All,
In a couple of months I am taking a trip with a bunch of my buddies to Captiva Florida. We go every year and as most know, it's a pretty good fishing destination. I have been fly fishing for about a year and am planning on taking my rod and reel down with me. Ive got a 5 wt echo carbon and a lamson konic. I know most will say its too light but considering I am a college student paying out of pocket for school, a heavier rod and reel arent in the cards right now. I am also planning on going after jacks and ladyfish, not snook or anything, and have heard of people doing this on a 3wt." I can see really small Ladyfish in a closed space on a five weight but in open water you may need more. Jacks are another thing all together! Even a smallish Jack of three lbs or so will give a five weight a heck of a workout. That said, small fish of any species may be present and you should have fun by adjusting the size of your fly, etc to target them.

"Should I go sink tip, or floating and should I get some 6wt reel to help throw larger flies in the wind?" I've found floating to be best in general and going to a heavier line will help a bit in the wind at times but that depends on the rod a lot.. Good luck with your trip.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/