The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2010, 01:20 AM

akuoduck is on a distinguished road
Default Bonefish in Hawaii

Hi,

I'll be heading to Oahu in September for a week for my honeymoon. My bride wants to give me a fishing excursion as a wedding present. She doesn't fish but might like to come along and watch.

Anyways, I just started fly fishing this year around March and I love it. Our usual quarry is brown trout averaging 17-20 inches. My big fish so far is 22 inches.

I'm thinking fishing for bonefish would be a blast for a new fly fisher and was wondering if anyone had any first hand knowledge of guides on the island. Specifically, did you go with him and would you recommend him? I'm looking for knowledgeable and helpful, but most importantly catches fish. I'm also hoping the guide will provide the majority of the gear since I know that it's a different game than brown trout and don't want to pack alot of gear. I almost feel like I'm drawing straws by looking at websites so firsthand knowledge is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:51 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bonefish in Hawaii

akuoduck: Send Stan Wright a PM, he guides with his son on Hawaii, he can tell you what the fishing will be like that time of year and what you will need for gear.

Sounds like a very cool present, hope you have a great trip and please remember to do a post to update us on how the fishing went! Good luck!

Larry
Old 07-26-2010, 06:00 PM

Stan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really nice

Aquoduck...
First of all, you better marry that girl... any young lady that will let you go fishing on your honeymoon is a real catch.

Depending on what island you'll be visiting.... I'll give you some general information.

There are bonefish guides on Kauai, Oahu, and Molokai. If your going to Maui, not a problem... it's a short ferry ride from Lahina over to Molokai.
Clay can meet you and it's off to the flats. He has good quality gear if you don't want to bring your own.

The only freshwater (peacock bass) fishing is on Kauai and Oahu.
Aloha,
Stan

Last edited by Stan Wright; 07-26-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:45 PM

We are on Oahu for the entire time. Staying at the Hilton Hawaiian Village.

Thanks for the input! She's very tolerant of all my hobbies! Actually lets me fish up to 3 times a week, though she doesn't get the whole catch and release thing (loves to eat fish).
Old 07-27-2010, 06:36 PM

Also, any recommendations for footwear? I'm obviously not going to spend alot of time bonefishing after this so either a.) want something cheap but functional or b.) something that can pull double duty ie: wet wading in Idaho rivers etc.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:32 AM

Tajue17 will become famous soon enough

Hey you sound like me this past January when i got married there,,,,,, I stayed at the hilton hawaiian village too! I fished with Capt Mike Hennessy and I'm very very happy with Mike, I have not heard anything bad about Stan and I think in my case he was booked at that time after Louie the fish bumped me last minute to go to New Zealand and I was in last minute need of a guide and it was coach Duff or Mike ,, But he picked me up right there at the village. footwear, your in Hawaii so when your in the village there is a little shop next to the mandolin store and get a pair of those Sanik flip flops that are made from the diving suit material "the Best" but for the bone fish you'll need a pair of flats boots!!!

either get the 20.00 pair at bass pro or get the simms pair (or the original flats sneaker the converse chuck taylors) I have the bass pro pair and never had a problem with them,, the reef is hard and your toes will love you..

bring a BUFF face mask/neck cover this thing is worth its weight in diamonds when that sun comes out and bring a longsleeve baby blue or yellow fishing shirt and the best polarized glasses you can borrow or afford..

also, you have Peacock bass there too,,,,, I fished with HawaiianBassfishing.com up at wilson lake (think it was Stan Wrights son that took me) towards the North shore,, best time might be summer but they are in there all year and why not do it it while your there. Let me know if you need any links..

PM me for any other info I was there in January and still have all my contacts.

Last edited by Tajue17; 08-27-2010 at 09:47 AM.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:25 AM

Well, I just got back from Hawaii and I had a great time with Mike Hennessy of Hawaii on the Fly. I actually fished a 8 hour day (more like 10-12) and a 4 hour day with him (more like 5) and he was great, very generous with his time and a great guide/teacher. Bonefishing is hard and as Mike says, this is the varsity of fly fishing. The first full day we were out it did take me a bit of time to get the hang of everything, but I did develop a lot of confidence though I didn't hook anything myself. Mike did hook a nice 5-6 pound bone while we were blind fishing and threw me the rod to fight it, so I did get to do that, man what line rippers these fish are! The half day we went out was in the morning at first light and man we had some awesome tailers! Guess what, I hooked one who went batsh** crazy and in the process of trying the clear slack line at my feet some got wrapped around the fighting butt of my rod. Needless to say that fish (that I had followed across the flat for several hundred yards and several minutes) broke that hook right at the bend. Damn, but what an awesome feeling to have it all come together for you finally. I definately want to try again!
Old 09-23-2010, 12:10 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

akuoduck: Thanks for posting the trip report! Sounds like you had a blast learning to fish for Bonefish. I have never done it but have heard that it is difficult at best.

Larry