The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 09:03 AM

flycaster99 is on a distinguished road
Default Which prescription bi-focal polarized sun-glasses?

I'm using a pair of prescription Costa Del Mar currently that had served me very well for the last few years. I can still spot a Bonefish on the flats at 150ft, but I guess I'm finally "mature" enough such that I can't see well enough to tie a fly that's 12inch from my face... Can someone recommend an on-line retailer that will do prescription bi-focal polarized sun-glasses at a reasonable price? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:45 PM

tennessee dave will become famous soon enoughtennessee dave will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Which prescription bi-focal polarized sun-glasses?

Smith Action Optics. Great service, fast and an outstanding product.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:29 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

I went with OAKLEYS. I had a pair of smiths (actually 2-3 pairs) over the last 10-13 years. I kept losing the replaceable lenses and actually had the frame crack on me after a -10c night camping.

I felt the glass in the oakleys (prescription/polarized/tinted blue, their 'freshwater' color vs saltwater) was way better. But I've only worn smiths before, can't speak for the other brands.

But at the price they'd better be good.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 03-19-2013, 04:31 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Polaroid sunglasses are extremely expensive; and like killer pricie. If you've already got good prescription bi's consider a set of Cocoon over glasses/sun glasses. Cost forty bucks and really are a hell of a good product.

One of the things I really like about them (above and beyond the price) is the wide ear pieces next to your eyes. Really do a good job of shutting our side glare.

fae
Old 03-19-2013, 05:06 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

Totally agree with Mr. Evans. Cocoons do a great job of shading out light not only on the side, but also above the eyeglasses. An added benefit, if your eyesight changes and you get new glasses, you don't have to buy new sunglasses. You can argue that they don't look as good as prescription sunglasses, but I'm not worried about fashion while fishing.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:36 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Which prescription bi-focal polarized sun-glasses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotakid View Post
Totally agree with Mr. Evans. Cocoons do a great job of shading out light not only on the side, but also above the eyeglasses. An added benefit, if your eyesight changes and you get new glasses, you don't have to buy new sunglasses. You can argue that they don't look as good as prescription sunglasses, but I'm not worried about fashion while fishing.
Great Call DK; that hadn't occurred to me and you're dead on right. See me on the Rogue and the word 'fashion' would never cross your mind. Even my dog(s) are 'old.' (One now as Husky's past, a heart crusher, one month past his 13th BD.)

Couple of years back, and finally had to get new wading boots. Shine, Lord did those new Korkers shine.

Another 'old fella' walks up and asks: "So .. you finally pulled your wallet out and got some thing that wasn't a rod or reel." Not a question, a statement.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:00 PM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

I'm a fan of either the Coccoons or FitOvers. I travel a bunch and have left prescription sun glasses in rent cars, hotels, etc with none recovered at $200 a pop. Ouch.

Both have good lenses but do wear on the surface fairly quickly if carelessly cleaned but really protect your eyes while fishing. I have no issues with tying knots, tippets.

My sons call me "ole man" but at 57 doubtful any "hotties" are looking at me regardless of my eye wear.

Pete A.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:27 PM

lightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the rough

Habervision. Get the amazing Drivewear lenses. They work in all light conditions. Polarized prescription bi-focals for me! I've worn Smith and Costas, and these are the best I've ever had. And the price is definitely as low as any quality glasses out there, and beat the big names hands down. PM me for more info if you'd like it. I'm a huge fan of Habervision, an on-line polarized glasses company in Golden, Colorado founded by Steve Haber, of Bolle' fame.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:21 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Flycaster is bonefishing. No over the glasses close-up aid will do. Adds to distortion and 4 surfaces to get salt spray on. No. Smith (Action) Optics or Costa del Mar in GLASS only. There is no more important piece of tackle for a sight fisher than top quality polarized glass only eye wear.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:57 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

I kept my Action Optics and have since bought another pair when th eyes went south a bit. I buy the stick on bifocals and the last pair was from Wally World for about $20. They work great!
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/