The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 10:18 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Poons!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghocevar View Post
So the water warmed up then?...I was down at Big Pine last week and 64 degree water temps put the fish down...sigh - there's always next time.
It's like they woke up and smelled the coffee! They are all over and eating! This is generally a good week but this year it's off the charts!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-22-2013, 10:27 PM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough

Wish I had a 12 weght, I would try to make a suicide run down there in the next couple weeks.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:56 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Spooled by a little fish like that.................!

How's the drag on that reel of yours?

Just kiddin'; sounds like great fun.

Pocono
Old 03-23-2013, 06:56 AM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

If I lived anywhere near there by I'd buy an inexspensive 12 or 13 weight asap, get a good line on closeout along with an Allen Kraken reel and be there in a hurry.

So what's your personal best tarpon mr. TheBoz?
Old 03-23-2013, 08:28 AM

bobbrown is on a distinguished road

Great news!! Was worried cause it's been cold in northern Fla.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:04 AM

ditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura about

I guess my Colton Torrent with the drag pressure was a good investment....course I have never been hooked up to a tarpon. ....I would like to get spooled once just for the brag'n rights......Congrats
Old 03-24-2013, 09:11 AM

peterjay is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you had yourself an epic battle Boz; I'll bet you don't forget that fish any time soon. I'm glad it's warming up somewhere, because it sure isn't in VA. BTW - the grapevine tells me that Ditz is a very slow swimmer and splashes around a lot, so you might want to invite him along next time you go wading. He's definitely the guy I want by my side in hammerhead territory.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:42 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

Way to go, given wading, etc over being in a boat. You did about as well as could be. Big Tarpon and wading is a hook up, hope and pray game and you'll only land them if they decide to turn around and run toward you a few times. Sounds like you're having fun!
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 03-25-2013, 10:37 AM

ditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
BTW - the grapevine tells me that Ditz is a very slow swimmer and splashes around a lot, so you might want to invite him along next time you go wading. He's definitely the guy I want by my side in hammerhead territory.
I am an mediocre (sic) swimmer at best but I was a highschool sprinter and can still out run a lot of the young bucks for a short distance. .....Would probably need a 4way bypass afterwards though.

But don't invite me if you ain't serious....I hate to miss a chance to wet a line in the salt. Hammerheads or no. I may be fast but no one ever accussed me of being smart.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:35 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

You hit it just right, Boz. Our Winter didn't really start till the 1st of March, and the cold snaps weren't that bad. Then it got warm again and the wind died. Wind is up again and now coming out of the NW between 15-20 knots with 4 nights predicted in the 50's and 60's, starting tonight.

That will cool off the tarpon fishing, but I'm hoping it'll warm up Friday and through the weekend without wind.

My buddy Wayne wants to go for tarpon again after a 15 year layoff on them. Usually he's gone back to Canada before they show up in good numbers. We've got Mon and Tues - then he's off for Quebec.

Congrads on the hookup from shore.

The two worst areas for hammerheads that I've fished are Channel 5 and Bahia Honda . Lots of tarpon in both.

Good luck.