The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 11:47 AM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice
Cool Re: Poons!!!

I've fished that area for Tarpon for several years now and like the above, found myself wading for the largest part..... I did tow a boat down one year only to have it succumb to motor problems, and another year a friend offered a boat ride but due to illness that didn't work out, so shorebound it is. Fishing with sharks is a reality anytime you are wading and best advice is to keep it real shallow and cast to the deeper channels flowing by. Loads of flats/channels like that in the lower keys. One thig that helps is to carry a boogie board with a basket attached on top. Swim the boat channel that's always present next to the road and that gets you to the flats beyond. Once there get your gear out of the basket and anchor your board and go for it. Worry about the sharks when you have a fish on, or when you've sighted one but other than that I dove with them for a half a century with no ill effects.
baseman1 likes this.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 03-31-2013, 12:35 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Poons!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck s View Post
I've fished that area for Tarpon for several years now and like the above, found myself wading for the largest part..... I did tow a boat down one year only to have it succumb to motor problems, and another year a friend offered a boat ride but due to illness that didn't work out, so shorebound it is. Fishing with sharks is a reality anytime you are wading and best advice is to keep it real shallow and cast to the deeper channels flowing by. Loads of flats/channels like that in the lower keys. One thig that helps is to carry a boogie board with a basket attached on top. Swim the boat channel that's always present next to the road and that gets you to the flats beyond. Once there get your gear out of the basket and anchor your board and go for it. Worry about the sharks when you have a fish on, or when you've sighted one but other than that I dove with them for a half a century with no ill effects.
Well it went down to 50 degrees on Tuesday and Wednesday so that basically along with 40 mph winds shut the big fellas down at channel 2 and 5 bridges as well as Long Key!
Thankfully there is this fun fish known as the Redfish which when your in the backwaters of the park along with small tarpon kept us very busy and a lot of fun! Even though Id prefer to wade.
Normally I don't think about sharks just that when you see a guy shaking after losing a 100 lb fish to one as big as his boat and your chest high in the water within sight of where it happened it sort of goes through your mind a wee bit as your fighting your fish! Haha!
ditz and baseman1 like this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 04-01-2013, 10:28 PM

flybum101 is on a distinguished road

golly this killing me never got to do salt on the fly would i love to jump in the middle of this head first giving me chill bumps
Old 04-18-2013, 08:10 AM

pjcalla is on a distinguished road

Oh man! I am really getting excited now. I will be down there starting Tuesday (23rd) for a week in Islamorada. This will be my first trip to the salt for fly fishing, and I cannot wait. I'm hoping to catch something, I really don't care what. Apparently there are bones out the back of the house where we are staying. Anyway, I will post some reports when I get back, and hopefully have some pics.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:31 AM

flyfishnbum is on a distinguished road

Good luck pjcalla...Once ya try salt water flyfishing you will love it, my trip down Key West to fish isn't until September,I can't wait!