The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Saltwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/saltwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   Poons!!! (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/saltwater-fly-fishing/314410-poons.html)

theboz 03-22-2013 07:17 PM

Poons!!!

Just want to let you guys who are hitting the Keys this month it's on!! The Tarpon are at all the bridges and all the usual flats and there is an abundance ! For the first time in my life I got spooled by a **** estimated at 175! Like trying to stop a train! Going out again tomorrow looking for something a bit smaller! Haha! Never seen so many all over , you just have to live it here it's a fly guy paradise ! Hope to see some of you down here !

Guest1 03-22-2013 07:19 PM

Re: Poons!!!

Spooled!!!!????:eek: I take it the line is a goner. Did you find it again? You need to get a faster chase boat. :D

theboz 03-22-2013 07:38 PM

Haha! No boat just crazy old me in the water up to my chest trying to keep up ! And the backing knot held , the leader was cut midway on I think a channel marker ! It was so crazy it took me an hour to stop shaking!! Monday I'm using a boat!! It was do far out and the most I got back at any time was a handful of turns when he changed direction!

---------- Post added at 06:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 PM ----------

And what really sunk in later was the fact that Thursday night in the same area we watched a guy lose a 100 lber to a hammerhead as long as the skiff!!

Guest1 03-22-2013 07:55 PM

It's always fun wading in the Hammerhead's yard. :D Remember if they get frisky with you, hit 'em on the nose and say "Bad fishy, bad!" :p

theboz 03-22-2013 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diver Dan (Post 539732)
It's always fun wading in the Hammerhead's yard. :D Remember if they get frisky with you, hit 'em on the nose and say "Bad fishy, bad!" :p

Haha! Nooooo way!!! My boy was in the water with me and he tells me later all he could think about was we were getting eaten!! Thanks Bryan Bryan I thought you were in to help me land the fish not be an appetizer!!

Guest1 03-22-2013 08:10 PM

That's when you get to use all the fun fun jokes like "Do you know why this is called a buddy knife?" and "I don't have to swim faster than the shark, just faster than you."

theboz 03-22-2013 08:20 PM

Haha! No his answer was your the bigger meal so I'll have time to get out!! Told him paybacks are a b...h!

wannafish 03-22-2013 08:32 PM

That sounds like big fun!

ghocevar 03-22-2013 09:33 PM

Poons!!!

So the water warmed up then?...I was down at Big Pine last week and 64 degree water temps put the fish down...sigh - there's always next time.

pkins44 03-22-2013 10:15 PM

Jealous here. Must be pretty intimidating, up to your chest in water, fighting a fish the size of a person. Not to mention the hammerhead. I hope you're floaties where firmly around your arms.:D