The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Saltwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/saltwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   One piece. Fly rod (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/saltwater-fly-fishing/315047-one-piece-fly-rod.html)

bobbrown 03-29-2013 07:11 AM

One piece. Fly rod

Keep 3 one piece rods on my skiff..looking to replace them and would like some feedback on the difference between the Loomis NRX and the Hardy sintrex proaxis. Thanks

sweetandsalt 03-29-2013 10:43 AM

Re: One piece. Fly rod

This is a tough question! I own both in 4-pc. versions and they are different but equaly top flight rods. I have cast a couple of Proaxis one-piece sticks and want one. I have not cast the new NRX one-piece but these are fron the designer that established one-pice saltwater rods with the CrossCurrents. You are going to have to cast them and tell us what you think.

chuck s 04-01-2013 10:43 AM

Always wanted to try a one piece fly rod in any of the heavier weights as they have to be the lightest in the hand, especially over the four piece rods we now see so often. Other than their strength, do you find a difference in feel when casting?

noreaster 04-01-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck s (Post 542758)
Always wanted to try a one piece fly rod in any of the heavier weights as they have to be the lightest in the hand, especially over the four piece rods we now see so often. Other than their strength, do you find a difference in feel when casting?

I too would love to try a one piece 5 wt someday. I bet they are a pleasure and bring new meaning to rod sensitivity.:) I have often thought that the uninterrupted taper would have to have obvious advantages over pieced rods.

ditz 04-01-2013 12:06 PM

My experiance on 1 piece rods is that they are a pain in the ........At the very least they are inconvienent. I have owned a couple of glass one piece back when steel ferrules were common. I personally could not feel much difference than with a ferruled rod and they are very prone to being damaged by doors etc. . Difficult to transport for very little advantage if any at all. I still have a one piece U.L. spinning that is a dandy and only 5'. It is still a pain to transport on long trips. Even in a car. I can only say that I will never buy another 1 piece rod of any length for my personal use but to each his own. Just my HO.

bobbrown 04-02-2013 07:03 AM

I agree they can be a PIA..but are great in the right situation. I fish 100% out of my skiff..so they get washed up after use and haven't left the boat in 5 years. The action and weight are great.

sweetandsalt 04-02-2013 12:56 PM

Having two such great choices to select from, you are going to have to cast them both. I look forward to hearing your opinions.

bobbrown 04-04-2013 07:20 AM

Finances ruled on this one...couldnt get any shop deals on Hardy or Loomis. Went with a couple 4 piece rods from another mfg. where I had a shop deal in place. So, won't be able to report on the 1 piece rods.

sweetandsalt 04-04-2013 07:50 AM

I was going to report ...and am anyway, that Tim Rajeff just introduced one piece versions of his terrific ECHO rods at a more modest price. Don't anyone kid yourselves; we are not talking clunker ferrule issues here we are dealing with rod designers fulfilling their fantasy of formulating a taper without having to take ferrules into consideration at all, even very slim unobtrusive ones. Comparing the Hardy Zenith 8'10"/#4 to the two 4-pc. versions, 9' and the 8 1/2' that I own, it was immediately evident in side by side comparison that it was significantly superior. OK, I am a rod nut but I am getting this rod and transporting its 9' tube via wagon to my home rivers...I'll continue to suffer with my 8 1/2'/#4 4-pc. version when traveling by plane. Oh well. I am told that in the saltwater sizes the one-piece Proaxis are stunningly good...I suppose a #9 for Montauk might be in my future.

---------- Post added at 06:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 AM ----------

What rods did you wind up getting and where do you fish?

bobbrown 04-05-2013 07:06 AM

Florida keys....permit and tarpon out of my Dolphin 18 foot.. mini side console..115 yamaha. Great place, great boat.