The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 10:51 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Re: 10 and 12 wt

my 10wt is a Sage Flight. I love it.
pete a likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 04-03-2013, 12:37 PM

flybum101 is on a distinguished road

i got a 8wt flight saltwater new i traded a bow for haven't cast it yet its new with warranty but its 9'6" is that extra length gonna be much disadvantage know it grants extra leverage to the fish?
Old 04-03-2013, 12:48 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybum101 View Post
never done any saltwater fly fishing got 7-8-9 wt rods figure that cover and i'm hoping to get to use them reds ,strips , drums , blues , and false albies snook, and figuring need at least a 10wt for teen tarpon and i'm guessing bigger if ever got to tackle large tarpon my dream would be to get to fish for gt's also if work don't pick up just gonna be casting in yard . selling off my new shooter bows and target sights to buy saltwater gear inhopes my dream come true so if anybody needs new bow looking for nice reels and rods
There are so many good rods from all the major players in the industry. I suggest that you cast what you can. Like any rod, it has to feel comfortable for you to cast all day. It also has to be accurate at any distance. It also has to have the ability to handle the stresses from big fish.

Of all the 10 and 12 weights that I have cast, I am partial to Hardy ProAxis, Sage Xi3, and Scott S4s rods. I have not cast a G Loomis NRX or the new Orvis Helios 2, but I have heard good things about them.

Dennis
Old 04-03-2013, 09:36 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

Ten to twelve weight rods are different beasts and some are superb at casting while many are ugly to cast and wear you down quickly. What I've found is first of all get a rod with a relatively soft tip, no longer than 9 ft but preferably and 8-8'9" length. That soft tip does a several things as it helps get the rod loaded quickly, decreases the effective casting length (think waving a shorter, arm/shoulder saving lever) and gives some extra bend when the fish jumps or lunges. As far as lifting capability, most do that just fine and technique when fighting is far more important. If I can do it with most, in general, I opt for a two piece rod as it's lighter and less to go wrong, but there have been a few very light weight four and five piece rods out there which are the bees knees when flying.. By the way, practice loading and shooting line accurately with a minimum of backcasts for optimum wear and tear on arms, wrists and shoulders.
pete a likes this.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 04-04-2013, 07:13 AM

bobbrown is on a distinguished road

There's no way I could...or want to.....cast my 12 weight all day. Same could be said for my 10 weight. When I use these tools it's mainly for tarpon and then I'm targeting individual sighted fish...never blind casting. Both weights are very doable under this scenario. The only time my 12 wright gets tiring is during a good worm hatch when rapid and multiple casts are necessary.
pete a likes this.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:13 AM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

I've got a 9' 10wt Sage Flight which is a great caster. Just built a 9' 10wt MHX Kit.

I'm 57 in good physical condition but either will cause me some real fatigue after hours of blind casting. The line and rod simply weigh morethan a 8 or 9wt. The Flight would be my choice of these two. I think the BVK in this application would be a great choice too.

We used 8wts for sight casting for reds this spring break but the wind and size of the fly made would have made a 10wt more practical.

I am planning on building a 12wt as we will be chasing Ling (cobia), Jack Crevalle with slim chance of good sized tarpons this summer. Here you could easily be "under-gunned" with a 10wt if a brusier shows up. For me rod strength is an issue ever distance casting is less the concern, 40-60ft is aok. I like the comment above about a rod with backbone and bit softer tip here for mid short to mid range accuracy.

However every 12wt I've cast are the next magnitude up in casting effort over a 10wt. IMHO it's more like stepping from 5wt to 9wt in change in effort.

The 12wt is a much much less used rod (my sons think of the 10 & 12's like elephant guns) so possibly go with a guide and try his tackle out first.

Pete A.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:07 AM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Another boom stick you should look at is the Beulah Blue Water series rod. Right around $400.

But like others said, it's definitely not a rod that you'll want to be false casting all day long. They're heavy and ultra fast. I just picked mine up, but have cast them in the past for musky (10-16" flies) and really loved it.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:08 AM

flybum101 is on a distinguished road

thanks for input guys very much appreciate it keep thoughts and experience headed my way