The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 08:03 AM

flybum101 is on a distinguished road
Default 10 and 12 wt

ok lets jump on up the ladder if i'm gonna get into salt might as well do it right whats some thoughts on 10 wt and 12 wt rods thanks in advance guys really appreciate the input
Old 04-02-2013, 08:16 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 10 and 12 wt

.... I only fish my 10wt when it's absolutely necessary. It's too heavy to be false casting all day.
The only time that I'll break out the 10 is when the wind is up over 20 knots and I need the extra oomph to power the line out.
mrfzx and chuck s like this.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:33 AM

reading about some off these guys hitting the tarpon driving me crazy wanting to play tug a war eith some of them don't know if most guys favorite 8wt is the same rod they choose for 10 wt weight or not seems biggesr following i got feedback on so far is tfo , sage , scott , some winston on the bigwater rods
Old 04-02-2013, 08:42 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Rip has it right. A 12 will flat out wear you down. Its not the weight of the rod, its the weight of the line you are pulling through the air. To be honest, unless you are chaing fish over 80-90 lbs (Tarpon, Billfish, etc.) a 10 will suffice. If you do decide you have the moxie to muscle a 12 for extended casting sessions, make sure you try out some rods first. Some of the 12wts out there are nearly uncastable IMO. Loading some of them is like trying to feel a feather on the end of a broomstick!

I spent a day in South Carolina last year casting a 12wt for Tarpon outside of the Georgetown area. By noon my right shoulder was shot, and I spent the remainder of the day casting an 8wt lefthanded for Redfish and Speckled Trout. A good double-haul will extend you stamina, but not indefinitely.

For our CR Tarpon clients we recommend 14 wts because the fish average so big, and you need the lifting power to get them off the bottom in the deeper water. In CR you aren't casting to Tarpon on the flats. Its more like trolling or swinging steamers.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:49 AM

peterjay is on a distinguished road

All rods are different as are all fisherman. A friend of mine has a 10wt that's a brute to cast (for him anyway) but he has another that he handles no sweat. I've been using a 12wt for striper surf fishing for 20 years and have zero complaints. I even use it for false albacore/jetty fishing when the wind really makes things tough. Lighter rods are fine for gentle conditions, but if you want to throw big flies under tough conditions and/or steer heavy fish through boulder fields, you'll want a rod with some serious backbone. The main thing is not to be afraid of heavy rods until you've tried them out yourself. Only you can determine whether or not big sticks are suitable for your situation.
wishiniwerfishin likes this.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:56 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I took a 10wt to FL with me because we werent sure what we were going to find and there reports of sharks up close so the 10 was the choice to bring. I was casting it pretty much for the better part of all day at times and it didnt wear me down a bit. Now my 11wt that I have is a cheaper rod, and it wears me down after a few hours but its nothing that stopping and taking a break from wont cure.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 04-02-2013, 11:33 AM

diffently going to get a 10wt now sure what kind yet ma y also do a little muskie fishing those nicknamed freshwater barracudas and that be the size of choice what is some of you'alls rods of choice in the 10wt rods know opinions gonna differ but know some like the bvk rods longer distance in the 8wt but don't like it up close some don't think they have enough butt to lift heavier fish some like the sage some a scott some winston be curious to know on the 10wts what your like and dislike about certain models Thanks for input so far awesome
Old 04-02-2013, 11:47 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

The sage Xi3 is an awesome rod, but pricey. An Orvis Access would be a great mid-price point choice. I have the BVK 10wt, 9 foot, 4 piece rod. Its definitely servicable, and at about $250, not a bank breaker.
wishiniwerfishin likes this.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:33 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybum101 View Post
ok lets jump on up the ladder if i'm gonna get into salt might as well do it right whats some thoughts on 10 wt and 12 wt rods thanks in advance guys really appreciate the input
What do you plan on targeting?
Old 04-02-2013, 12:53 PM

never done any saltwater fly fishing got 7-8-9 wt rods figure that cover and i'm hoping to get to use them reds ,strips , drums , blues , and false albies snook, and figuring need at least a 10wt for teen tarpon and i'm guessing bigger if ever got to tackle large tarpon my dream would be to get to fish for gt's also if work don't pick up just gonna be casting in yard . selling off my new shooter bows and target sights to buy saltwater gear inhopes my dream come true so if anybody needs new bow looking for nice reels and rods