The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2013, 06:56 PM

thechroniclesofmasi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tarpon: Crabs vs. flies

I'm with you on hook size.

"Hardly anyone uses 5/0's but me."

I just don't see looking into a huge bucket mouth and staring at a teeny tiny hook. Maybe 50-80lbs tarpon, but I rarely catch a tarpon under 80lbs in my area. You actually have to look really hard for the small ones. I guess that is not a problem now is it. hahahahahah

I cant wait to start tying patterns for myself. Its very hard to find good hooks for a decent price online.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:08 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

ebay is a good place for reasonable prices. Most hooks labeled "fly hooks" by the manufacturer cost more than those not. And some that are not I like better than those which are.

There are a couple of reasonable suppliers there who sell 25 and 100 packs. The 25 packs are really not a whole lot more expensive per hook than a 100 pack and you can get a variety of sizes without extra shipping buying from the same guy. You just need to get the right manufacturer's stock # and do a search. The guys selling good hooks have them listed properly for a stock# search. I cannot get what I like from the local shops.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:06 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechroniclesofmasi View Post
Awesome!
And I would like a side of baked potato with that steak. That is a whopper. In my area all the tarpon for much of the year are at the bridge or pass, so not sight fishing very much. What WT line to you need to fling that sucker?
Good luck on the game!
Actually, we don't cast these monsters. This is drift fishing, or even back trolling, and we recommend 14wt minimum for our clients. Yes, 12's will work, but in the deeper water where drift fishing is more likely to occur, you need some serious butt strength to lift the fish. In CR the fish average around 100lbs, with much bigger fish very common. I appologize for not getting a picture of the Glow-Whistler up yet. Been burning my candle at about 5 ends.....and looking for a 6th!

---------- Post added at 05:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechroniclesofmasi View Post
I'm with you on hook size.

"Hardly anyone uses 5/0's but me."

I just don't see looking into a huge bucket mouth and staring at a teeny tiny hook. Maybe 50-80lbs tarpon, but I rarely catch a tarpon under 80lbs in my area. You actually have to look really hard for the small ones. I guess that is not a problem now is it. hahahahahah

I cant wait to start tying patterns for myself. Its very hard to find good hooks for a decent price online.
If I had to choose a size tarpon to catch, I'd choose 60 pounders. IMHO they are the most fun. Really acrobatic. AND you can realistically use a smaller, lighter rod. Unfortunately, in CR, at least on the coast, they seem to be very scarce. If you travel up into lake Nicaragua you can find some, but then you aren't in CR anymore.

---------- Post added at 06:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 AM ----------

One thing to remember, the larger the hook's wire diameter, the harder it is to drive that hook into that tire-rubber mouth of a big tarpon. Smaller wire diameter is easier to stick. Think of it as getting a shot: which would you rather get? a shot with a fine gage needle like an insulin syringe, or a shot with a cow needle? Same principle.

I use a dremel tool to sharpen the hooks on my 4/0 and larger flies (before tying on them). If they aren't sticky sharp (sharp enough that when the point is very lightly run across my thumbnail, it digs in) They get sharpened again. I also touch up the points every few hours. As has been pointed out, the warm salt water corrodes the hook MUCH faster than cold saltwater, and it only takes a few seconds to give the point a couple of licks with a stone between drifts.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.