The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Saltwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/saltwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   fly lines (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/saltwater-fly-fishing/315567-fly-lines.html)

flybum101 04-03-2013 12:55 PM

fly lines

got more questions hopefully be looking at fishing for reds , strips ,albies got some orvis bassbug tapers would these work or do i need to look at getting more species specific tapers, if so what brands shine know this pretty broad question Thanks in advance

chuck s 04-03-2013 09:25 PM

Re: fly lines

I've personally used SA's Mastery lines, Rio's and Cortland's premium lines and all work well with perhaps a slight edge to the Rios. The biggest thing would be to find a line that behaves well in the water/air temps that you are fishing. Then other than that match the type of fishing you will be doing. Bass Tapers are designed to carry bigger flies at closer ranges. Bonefish lines put a premium on casting small flies longer distance in tropical conditions. Pike lines are for shorter distances, huge flies and cooler temps.:)

ditz 04-04-2013 01:34 PM

If it were me I would throw that bass line at all the reds I could find. Not a lot of difference than any other WF line and it will work. As far as albies you may find that you need to get some long casts out there and a shooting head may be the line of choice if you find the bass line does not work for you. A saltwater taper might work a little better but use what you brought. I use my saltwater taper on bass.....go figure.:frogdance

oarfish 04-04-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ditz (Post 543971)
If it were me I would throw that bass line at all the reds I could find. Not a lot of difference than any other WF line and it will work. As far as albies you may find that you need to get some long casts out there and a shooting head may be the line of choice if you find the bass line does not work for you. A saltwater taper might work a little better but use what you brought. I use my saltwater taper on bass.....go figure.:frogdance

There the same taper, line companys at one time used a labeled Bass/S.W.Taper.

Rick

swirlchaser 04-04-2013 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flybum101 (Post 543609)
got more questions hopefully be looking at fishing for reds , strips ,albies got some orvis bassbug tapers would these work or do i need to look at getting more species specific tapers, if so what brands shine know this pretty broad question Thanks in advance

I find the type of fishing is more important than the species. The line I fish Stripers from the surf is not the line I fish from the boat.

Stripers from the Surf:
I love the RIO Outbound shorts, not much accuracy needed here but fighting the wind and getting 80'+ is very important or you won't clear the wash.

Stripers from the Boat:
Back bays and shallow water a floating line is fine, 30'+ calls for a heavy, fast sink line.

I'm new to Reds but after my Nov trip I'll have some first hand info for you.

sandfly 04-04-2013 05:10 PM

the bass lines will work just fine...

oarfish 04-04-2013 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swirlchaser (Post 544037)
Stripers from the Surf:
I love the RIO Outbound shorts, not much accuracy needed here but fighting the wind and getting 80'+ is very important or you won't clear the wash.

One of the best line groups I've ever used, I'm glad you have brought up Rio's Outbound Shorts for salt, bass, pike, you can not go wrong.

Rick

swirlchaser 04-04-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oarfish (Post 544052)
One of the best line groups I've ever used, I'm glad you have brought up Rio's Outbound Shorts for salt, bass, pike, you can not go wrong.

Rick

I agree, not the most accurate line, but it shoots like no line I've ever cast before.

flybum101 04-04-2013 07:34 PM

great info guys got to check this line out

mrfzx 04-05-2013 08:13 AM

I'll add my +1 to the ranks that like the Rio Outbound Short lines. I use the OB line in WF-8-F Tropical for Redfish in Louisiana, and have no complaint s at all. It loads the rod quickly, and shoots very well. We also like the SA Textured Mastery Titan Taper, and I will give it a slight edge over the RIO line. I think the "textured" finish makes it shoot just a hair better. In June I will be testing the Wulff Bermuda Shorts line. It has even a shorter head than the Rio or SA. Just in case it doesn't perform as well, I'll have a couple of extra spools loaded with the SA and Rio lines.;)