The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 12:55 PM

flybum101 is on a distinguished road
Default fly lines

got more questions hopefully be looking at fishing for reds , strips ,albies got some orvis bassbug tapers would these work or do i need to look at getting more species specific tapers, if so what brands shine know this pretty broad question Thanks in advance
Old 04-03-2013, 09:25 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice
Default Re: fly lines

I've personally used SA's Mastery lines, Rio's and Cortland's premium lines and all work well with perhaps a slight edge to the Rios. The biggest thing would be to find a line that behaves well in the water/air temps that you are fishing. Then other than that match the type of fishing you will be doing. Bass Tapers are designed to carry bigger flies at closer ranges. Bonefish lines put a premium on casting small flies longer distance in tropical conditions. Pike lines are for shorter distances, huge flies and cooler temps.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 04-04-2013, 01:34 PM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

If it were me I would throw that bass line at all the reds I could find. Not a lot of difference than any other WF line and it will work. As far as albies you may find that you need to get some long casts out there and a shooting head may be the line of choice if you find the bass line does not work for you. A saltwater taper might work a little better but use what you brought. I use my saltwater taper on bass.....go figure.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:46 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditz View Post
If it were me I would throw that bass line at all the reds I could find. Not a lot of difference than any other WF line and it will work. As far as albies you may find that you need to get some long casts out there and a shooting head may be the line of choice if you find the bass line does not work for you. A saltwater taper might work a little better but use what you brought. I use my saltwater taper on bass.....go figure.
There the same taper, line companys at one time used a labeled Bass/S.W.Taper.

Rick
Old 04-04-2013, 05:06 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybum101 View Post
got more questions hopefully be looking at fishing for reds , strips ,albies got some orvis bassbug tapers would these work or do i need to look at getting more species specific tapers, if so what brands shine know this pretty broad question Thanks in advance
I find the type of fishing is more important than the species. The line I fish Stripers from the surf is not the line I fish from the boat.

Stripers from the Surf:
I love the RIO Outbound shorts, not much accuracy needed here but fighting the wind and getting 80'+ is very important or you won't clear the wash.

Stripers from the Boat:
Back bays and shallow water a floating line is fine, 30'+ calls for a heavy, fast sink line.

I'm new to Reds but after my Nov trip I'll have some first hand info for you.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:10 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

the bass lines will work just fine...
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 04-04-2013, 05:40 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
Stripers from the Surf:
I love the RIO Outbound shorts, not much accuracy needed here but fighting the wind and getting 80'+ is very important or you won't clear the wash.
One of the best line groups I've ever used, I'm glad you have brought up Rio's Outbound Shorts for salt, bass, pike, you can not go wrong.

Rick
runningfish likes this.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:44 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by oarfish View Post
One of the best line groups I've ever used, I'm glad you have brought up Rio's Outbound Shorts for salt, bass, pike, you can not go wrong.

Rick
I agree, not the most accurate line, but it shoots like no line I've ever cast before.
runningfish likes this.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:34 PM

flybum101 is on a distinguished road

great info guys got to check this line out
Old 04-05-2013, 08:13 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

I'll add my +1 to the ranks that like the Rio Outbound Short lines. I use the OB line in WF-8-F Tropical for Redfish in Louisiana, and have no complaint s at all. It loads the rod quickly, and shoots very well. We also like the SA Textured Mastery Titan Taper, and I will give it a slight edge over the RIO line. I think the "textured" finish makes it shoot just a hair better. In June I will be testing the Wulff Bermuda Shorts line. It has even a shorter head than the Rio or SA. Just in case it doesn't perform as well, I'll have a couple of extra spools loaded with the SA and Rio lines.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.