The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Saltwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/saltwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   Unique Australian Fish, Golden Trevally, Black Spotr Tusk Fish (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/saltwater-fly-fishing/315810-unique-australian-fish-golden-trevally-black-spotr-tusk-fish.html)

andythomsen 04-05-2013 09:04 PM

Unique Australian Fish, Golden Trevally, Black Spotr Tusk Fish

Thought you guy's may like to check out my latest video.

It's a shame a client cancelled his trip on this day, so I fished in perfect conditions, and had a really great day. This was the toughest fight a Golden Trevally has ever put me through.....

Such an epic battle and long fight, I will remember this day for a long time.

The Black Spot Tusk Fish was in perfectly clear and calm water, I was very surprised the fly didn't spook him. Instead he came straight over and ate it!!

I will put up part 2 as soon as i can, hopefully tomorrow.

Cheers,
Andy.

mcnerney 04-05-2013 09:56 PM

Re: Unique Australian Fish, Golden Trevally, Black Spotr Tusk Fish

Andy: Very nice work on the video! What was the beautiful blue fish you landed right after the mackeral? Also I noted that you cast right handed, but have your reel setup to wind with the right hand, just wondering why you have your rig setup like that.

andythomsen 04-07-2013 05:09 PM

Hi and Thanks Larry,

The blue fish is called a Black Spot Tusk Fish, also called Bluey or Tusky. They are a very hard fighting fish and as spooky as Trout, I consider them as hard to catch as Permit, although a little less fussy about fly selection.

In Australia most people switch hand as thus the right cast/right reel set up. You just get used to it, I've never seen the need to change, although it is a bit strange. I guess it gives your casting hand a rest while you fight a fish holding the rod with your left.

Happy fishing.
Andy

flycaster99 04-08-2013 06:28 AM

Hi Andy, are you fishing out of Weipa?

mcnerney 04-08-2013 07:14 AM

Andy: Thanks again! That Black Spot Tusk Fish is a beautiful fish and to think that is also a great fighter makes it all the better. I'm left handed so whenever I borrow a right handed fishermens rig to try out then I have to switch hand also.

andythomsen 04-16-2013 06:04 AM

I live on the east coast Whitsunday area, inside the Great Barrier Reef.

And Larry, when I did a lot of lure casting I used both hands for it alternating, the casting. I also taught myself to cast with the left hand also, but it still feels very strange and un-coordianted.