The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By andythomsen

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 09:04 PM

andythomsen will become famous soon enough
Default Unique Australian Fish, Golden Trevally, Black Spotr Tusk Fish

Thought you guy's may like to check out my latest video.

It's a shame a client cancelled his trip on this day, so I fished in perfect conditions, and had a really great day. This was the toughest fight a Golden Trevally has ever put me through.....

Such an epic battle and long fight, I will remember this day for a long time.

The Black Spot Tusk Fish was in perfectly clear and calm water, I was very surprised the fly didn't spook him. Instead he came straight over and ate it!!

I will put up part 2 as soon as i can, hopefully tomorrow.

Cheers,
Andy.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:56 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unique Australian Fish, Golden Trevally, Black Spotr Tusk Fish

Andy: Very nice work on the video! What was the beautiful blue fish you landed right after the mackeral? Also I noted that you cast right handed, but have your reel setup to wind with the right hand, just wondering why you have your rig setup like that.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:09 PM

Hi and Thanks Larry,

The blue fish is called a Black Spot Tusk Fish, also called Bluey or Tusky. They are a very hard fighting fish and as spooky as Trout, I consider them as hard to catch as Permit, although a little less fussy about fly selection.

In Australia most people switch hand as thus the right cast/right reel set up. You just get used to it, I've never seen the need to change, although it is a bit strange. I guess it gives your casting hand a rest while you fight a fish holding the rod with your left.

Happy fishing.
Andy
Old 04-08-2013, 06:28 AM

flycaster99 is on a distinguished road

Hi Andy, are you fishing out of Weipa?
Old 04-08-2013, 07:14 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Andy: Thanks again! That Black Spot Tusk Fish is a beautiful fish and to think that is also a great fighter makes it all the better. I'm left handed so whenever I borrow a right handed fishermens rig to try out then I have to switch hand also.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:04 AM

I live on the east coast Whitsunday area, inside the Great Barrier Reef.

And Larry, when I did a lot of lure casting I used both hands for it alternating, the casting. I also taught myself to cast with the left hand also, but it still feels very strange and un-coordianted.