The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 08:15 PM

ageriner is on a distinguished road
Default correct reel and rod wt for reds need help pls!

Hello all. Need some help. I just swapped out my new 7/8 TFO reel for a 9 wt and am deciding on either a 8 or 9 wt rod. I've been told the 9 will be better in the wind and have red that as well but the Bass Pro guy said the 9 would be overkill as in like a crane and another guy also said it was too much. Not sure if the BP guy knows his stuff. Another guy who used to be a guide recommended getting and 8 wt rod and overloading it w/ 9 wt line. Anyone! Please advise. I'm making a purchase and getting out there soon. Thanks. Andrew
Old 04-10-2013, 08:58 PM

thechroniclesofmasi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: correct reel and rod wt for reds need help pls!

I throw a 8wt TFO BVK when chasing reds with a possible snook in the mix. That being said I feel comfortable fishing a 6wt fly logic when sight casting for reds. I can best any redfish in my area (nothing bigger that 36") in under 5 minutes with the 6wt. Once you get casting down the wind wont matter so much as the weight of the fly.

I can shoot the BVK farther in wind but hardly ever need to because in wind there is less visibility and distances are shorter.

Good luck!
Old 04-10-2013, 10:04 PM

drc has a spectacular aura aboutdrc has a spectacular aura about

A 9 wt would not be overkill at all. I know a guy whose go to rod is a 10wt over lined with 11wt line! i guess it depends on where you are planning to fish. some fisheries are better that others. in the winter in south Louisiana you can get into some BIG fish. thats the only place i fish for reds and an 8wt is the lightest i'll go. but everyone is entitled to their opinions.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:22 AM

osok will become famous soon enoughosok will become famous soon enough

For Reds in my area nearly all people use 7 - 9 wt. rods, with most throwing an 8 wt. fast action. I fish with 8 wt. TFO BVK.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:00 PM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

I fish for Reds in Louisiana, and my usual rod is an 8wt TFO BVK or an 8wt Orvis Helios. I have a 7wt Orvis T3 that I have been using for Steelies, and I think I may give it a shot at some Reds in June......I just love the way it feels. Honestly it kind of depends on where you are fishing. If you need to stop a bull charging for a brush pile, then you will not mind having the 9 in your hand. If you are in open water, and can play them a bit more easily then a lighter rod might actually be more fun. Either way, you can't go wrong with an 8wt.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:39 PM

thechroniclesofmasi is on a distinguished road

Looks like the BVK is king! Mine works well in all conditions except for the super quick turn, like under docks. When I fish docks I use a TFO Lefty Kreh Pro Special which is Med action 8wt and use a DT 9wt line. The slower action TFO Pro Special is a brute and is about twice as strong as the BVK. It all depends on location as stated above.
mrfzx likes this.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:35 PM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

8wt is hard to beat for many applications. However don't be caught undergunned if the wind is up or the water clarity requires larger bulky flies. Wind down here on Texas and Louisiana make below a 8wt with most flies pretty tough much of the time.

Often bushy heavy Clouser of 3/0 are used and then an 8 feels too light. We saw some bruisers that would have been tough to land in weeds with light stuff.

When wade fishing I use an 8 as Ill be doing plenty of blind casting. But from a boat a 7 & 10wt would be darn near ideal. 10wt be awfully handy if some Jacks (jack crevalle) are spotted, with these guys a 10 makes for fair reasonable length fight. Not often but these guys are around enough to make you glad you had the 10.

Won't suggest a specific rod/brand as many work (plus it just spins into a "mines better" argument) however too fast can be a hindrance for short fast accurate cast so often needed.

Pete A.
mrfzx likes this.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:52 AM

Bonefishdick is on a distinguished road

An 8 wt or 9 wt would be fine, it just comes down to what feels better to you and finding a good deal.

As far as Bass Pro, a lot of the people who work there are there not because of there knowledge but rather their availability, I'm not saying all the people who work there don't know there stuff but I have met a number who will leave you walking away scratching your head. You would be be better served to get advice from someone you trust about selecting gear.

I use 9 wts and never felt over gunned when fishing for Reds. If I lived in the South I would use an 8 wt most of the time and break out the 9 when I thought I needed it.
mrfzx likes this.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:16 AM

peterjay will become famous soon enoughpeterjay will become famous soon enough

Good Advice above. I'd go with the heaviest rod you feel comfortable casting. There are gonna be situations when you'll wish you had more rod, but damned few when you'll wish you had less. Every rod is different, as is every fisherman, but the average 9wt will cover a lot of situations without wearing out your casting arm. My 9wt sees more action than all my other rods combined - everything from spring stripers to false albacore.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:39 PM

rvc is on a distinguished road

You might want to try to find a guide or two in the area you plan to fish. They could probably give you some pretty decent advice.

RVC